1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
Default clutch problem

so im still fighting my southbend clutch install. i put a new clutch master cylinder on today, after jsut replacing the slave cylinder. it is 100% air free and bled. but the clutch still wont disengage.

is the clutch fork possibly the problem? or should i have put the spacer on behind the clutch fork? im stumped i have no idea why this thing is being such a headache. when my wife pumps the clutch and im under the truck, the slave cylinder is getting full travel it appears so i know the hydraulics are working

Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the exact same problem this past Oct. when I put my Con-O in. What I did was to get South Bends HD Hyraulic M/C & slave Cly - problem solved. My system has never worked better, even when new. BTW I bought my truck new in Jan of '93. I wish you luck with a new MC but I feel it still will not work to your satisfaction.

Bob

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Diesel Bomber

well ive already bought brand new master and slave cylinders and im not going to buy another set. im not really worried about it working to my satisfaction, i just want it to work period. if i start the truck, force it into gear, and push the clutch all the way in, it doesnt have the slightest affect on the clutch it just stays in gear. i just want it to work period. because right now it doesnt work the slightest bit. it worked just fine with a stock clutch i dont know why it cant work with a southbend clutch

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

do they make it so that you are forced to buy their hydraulic unit? ive been reading about it and it seems like a very common problem. if thats the case why dont they tell you upfront that thats what you need? it wouldve saved me two weeks worth fo work and headaches

Last edited by tltruckparts; 01-03-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Should work with your stock hydros, the upgraded units are for the heavier pressure plate, you might have to extend the rod from the pedal to the master cylinder as it might not be pushing far enough. There is a difference in the second and third gen hydro systems, im not sure what setup you have, but you can add about an inch to the rod and try it, the upgraded units are adjustable to compensate and get adjustment just where you like it.

hope it helps ya.

DD

Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Diesel Bomber

thanks for the input diesel dummy its appreciated. is there any downside to adding travel to the rod?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

anyone got any more input?

Last edited by tltruckparts; 01-04-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

No, the replacement units are adjustable, unless you get a stock setup which i think you have, the travel it needs in the Master cylinder just might not be enough for it to disengage the clutch. Easy way to find out if that is it is to, take a steering wheel puller and use the 2 bolts where the slave bolts to the bell, mount the puller there and screw it in to see if it will disengage the clutch, if it will then thats your problem, just extend the rod.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Diesel Bomber

well i got off the phone with peter from south bend and he told me it needs at least 1/2" of fork travel to completely disengage the clutch. so i pulled off the fork boot and looked while my wife hit the clutch, and its only traveling about 1/4". but it is at full rest just barely touching the fingers of the pressure plate, which he said it should do. so im thinking an extra 1/4" or so on that rod like you said should do the trick. i have a chevy master cylinder and a dodge slave. maybe the chevy master just doesnt push enough fluid

Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

just start out by adding 1/4" at a time till you get what you need, you can also make your own adjustable rod with some all thread and a turnbuckle, that way you only need to take it apart once. I can also get you just the asjustable rod for the dodge master cylinder. I think i have one in tje toolbox, but i would just add a little to the rod in the slave on the trans.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i would also lengthin that rod too, should fix it. good luck

Old 01-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this may work

i had the same problem with my truck wen i blew my southbend apart and put a valair clutch in i bout a new slave and master cylinder but still didnt want to disingade the clutch and wasnt able **** wen the truck was running so wat i did is pull the tranny back out and were throw out bearing arm is opposite side of the slave cylinder and were it snaps onto the lil round ball i unscrewed that out and put two more washers made it a total of 3 and it works fine now

Quick Reply: clutch problem