1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Installed new shutoff solenoid, now have power problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Installed new shutoff solenoid, now have power problems...

Lets see if you guys can figure this one out. Here's the whole story, About a month ago my fuel shutoff solenoid on my 89 W-250 burned up driving down the road and shut the truck down. I gutted it, rigged up a manual shutoff cable, no big deal. Finally ordered a new shutoff solenoid, got it yesterday and installed it, no big deal. I started the truck up, it fired and shutoff. Tried again, same results so I gave it some throttle, it fired right up, stayed running. Let off the throttle, engine rpm slowed down as I let up on the throttle, when I came all the way off it it shut down. Somehow, my idle got changed, so I adjusted the idle everything seems good, but when driven on the highway, Im lacking some power and about 8 lbs of boost less than before I changed the solenoid. I've looked everywhere for a good answer to this, just for kicks I pulled the solenoid out again and looked at everything, reinstalled, same results. I guess next Im going to try putting the old gutted one back in and see what happens but its acting like the throttle index is off, but it or nothing else other than what is necessary to get to the fuel shutoff solenoid is touched. Any ideas?

BTW the truck runs smooth no smoke, not even black smoke anymore. It ran fine with the old solenoid and with the old one gutted was about the same. Now with the new one Im lacking power. I still have the old solenoid and the spring and plunger out of it, just the electrical part burnt up. Thanks for the help

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

So todays experiments included taking the new shutoff solenoid back out, comparing the length of the plungers, they were the same, testing the solenoid and it sucked the plunger all the way in, taking the spring and plunger out and reinstalling, no change, and bleeding the injector lines incase some air got in, no change whatsoever.

Last edited by jasonfriedlin; 01-02-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Jason you knocked something loose.... I still say re index your throttle linkage.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by RSWORDS
Jason you knocked something loose.... I still say re index your throttle linkage.
Thats what Im goinna try next. The only thing I can think is when I pulled up on the throttle linkage to get the ball off it jumped a tooth somehow. I hope thats all it is

Tried re indexing the throttle shaft and no luck. Im gonna play with it some more, maybe I just wasnt hitting the right spot, that thing is PITA but I got the idle up with it, only way to high and I couldnt get rid of it with the idle screw. Gonna try to call the Bosch guy tomorrow and see what he can tell me

The Bosch guy did not give me good news. He said it sounds like the pump is worn out but its strange it was running fine before, putting that solenoid in should not have had this kind of effect

Last edited by jasonfriedlin; 01-04-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

not to my knowledge it shouldnt thats strange

Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Diesel Bomber

He said the fuel shutoff solenoid has no effect on power whatsoever, it just shuts fuel off when necessary. That was all I did was put a new one in then the truck wouldnt idle without turning it up and has lost all that power

Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Jason you tweaked something... What the fuel pressure.system look like?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Diesel Bomber

I think I found a problem, dont know if its the problem but where the throttle hooks up to the other part on the bracket on the side of the engine, there is a broken piece causing alot of slop. I don think Im getting full throttle travel but Im trying to figure out how it would affect the idle. Ill post pics tomorrow when its not dark. I found this at work today and I think I must have broke it when I took that bracket off and put it aside to get to the solenoid

Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Diesel Bomber

Well Im still baffled by this problem. I got some power back today by turning the full power screw in about half a turn, Im gonna turn it a lil more tomorrow. Ive got this on 3 diesel forums, talked to a bosch guy, two mechanics at Cummins today and nobody knows and I cant find out what I did so Ill just fix it this way I guess til it runs strong again or doesnt run at all anymore. F&%# it!!