1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Best Exhaust Housing for Damon... :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Exhaust Housing for Damon... :)

Hey guys,

I have a 91.5 W250 Auto.

I hit 20 PSI at the top of 3rd gear, with the pedal down. In the other gears, well, she's a bit laggy. I believe I have the largest exhaust housing.

My plans for the truck are to turn up the fuel a little, max. setting based on acceptable EGT's.

However, I plan on keeping the injectors stock, and not messing with the auto until such time that it gives me trouble or needs to get rebuilt.

Basically, I want a better 'around town' ride. I want to hit full boost faster, and make the truck more 'daily driven friendly'.

I know that there are a lot of options for exhaust housing, from smaller sized, to smaller sized with a waste gate.

For my application, I was wondering what you'd recommend for a new exhaust housing, and where my best bet to get it (cheaply) would be?

Thanks!

damon

Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

What do you have done to the truck so far?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the 3200 spring is well worth the 15 bucks. Start by lookin for a newer turbo like the hx series tht ll cool ur egts alot um for wat ur watin to do id go for the 14cm or 16cm the wastegate is up to u but ur turbo will make more boost without one i think correct me if im wrong then u ll proly want a new exhaust expandit has a great line of cheap but good exhaust then for the cold air intake i did all this stuff to my truck and she drives a 100000x better

Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

auto or stick truck? if its an auto i would run a 16cm or just get an 18cm if its a stick i'd run an hx35 off a 2nd gen.

also get the gov spring and an M&H fuel pin, PM me for details about the fuel pins

Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

hey pm me for a price bout m&h 4

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and most 2nd gen hx35's run a 12cm housing thts wat i got but if ur hauling go with a bigger housing cause egt might be an issue

Last edited by 1st genny nut; 12-29-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

for the amount of boost your pushing, your h1c (stock turbo) should do just fine. if you dont start puttin big power under it it will be ok.

if your on a budget i dont reccomend going through all the things firstgennynut said, yes they are all decent upgrades, but then your startin to throw some big bucks out of pocket. the 3200 gov spring is a must for the 20 bucks they cost.

as for your exhaust housing size though as you asked about. do you tow? and how often. if you dont tow, with your auto id reccomend the 16cm for around town. but if you pull decent weigh semi often, id reccomend the 18. you gotta look at it is your going to sacrifice spool for heat so its kind of up to you as to which one you want to sacrifice.

but first you need to see what you have in there right now. the way to tell the size of an exhaust housing on a holset turbo is if you unbolt it at the exhaust manifold, and look into the place where the exhaust flows in, it will have a number. 12, 14, 16, 18, 21.5 etc. if you have the 21cm housing its a lag monster, if you have an 18 your probably ok.

but the best way to get power for your driver without spending any money is the free pump mods you can do. there is a sticky in the aftermarket 1st gen section and tons of videos around here on how to do it. its free power.

but as a must with any diesel, if you mess with anything fuel related on your truck, gauges are a must

Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 3200 spring...just haven't installed it yet. I turned a few screws on the pump, it has an aftermarket 3 inch exhaust and a K&N filter.

I have installed EGT and boost gauges.

Other than that, the truck is stock...and I don't want to smoke the tires off the line, just want her a little snappier.

PS - The truck is an automatic.

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
for the amount of boost your pushing, your h1c (stock turbo) should do just fine. if you dont start puttin big power under it it will be ok.

if your on a budget i dont reccomend going through all the things firstgennynut said, yes they are all decent upgrades, but then your startin to throw some big bucks out of pocket. the 3200 gov spring is a must for the 20 bucks they cost.

as for your exhaust housing size though as you asked about. do you tow? and how often. if you dont tow, with your auto id reccomend the 16cm for around town. but if you pull decent weigh semi often, id reccomend the 18. you gotta look at it is your going to sacrifice spool for heat so its kind of up to you as to which one you want to sacrifice.

but first you need to see what you have in there right now. the way to tell the size of an exhaust housing on a holset turbo is if you unbolt it at the exhaust manifold, and look into the place where the exhaust flows in, it will have a number. 12, 14, 16, 18, 21.5 etc. if you have the 21cm housing its a lag monster, if you have an 18 your probably ok.

but the best way to get power for your driver without spending any money is the free pump mods you can do. there is a sticky in the aftermarket 1st gen section and tons of videos around here on how to do it. its free power.

but as a must with any diesel, if you mess with anything fuel related on your truck, gauges are a must
Thanks for the reply. The only thing I'll be towing is my boat, which weighs in at a hefty () 2400 lbs, maybe 2900 with gas and stuff onboard.

I have gauges. I was under the assumption that the turbos on the first gen intercooled trucks with an auto were the 21MM. There is no 'rule of thumb' on the years? I know the PO kept the truck stock, other than an Amsoil filtration system, 33x12.5s and a Kelderman air ride system.

Last edited by Subliminal; 12-29-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

u have the 21cm housing u have the same truck as me ur gonna wanna get rid of the exhaust housing settle for an 16cm or 18cm u choice both r pretty good suggestions and sorry bout all tht stuff i mentioned i gotta little carried away like truck parts said get tht spring installed it works wonders and ur have n auto so ur proly fine with the 18cm housing

Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

I would ge rid of the K&N and put a BHAF on it too

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...t-numbers.html

Last edited by jasonfriedlin; 12-29-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ive heard tht the afe filter flows better ?? am i right??

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust Housing for Damon... :)