1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Aftermarket Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Speedometer

hey guys like it said aftermarket speedometer well my speedo wasnt workin when i bought the truck and we tryed almost every thing grounds ,vss changed out clusters and its still getting power so i was jus wondering if there is some way to do a aftermarket speedo to make all of this work and i was wondering if i could do the same any advice would be appreciated

thanks

nick

Old 12-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

This might appear to be off the subject but its not. If your tranny is a G360 I might be able to help. If not I know that others have gone the after market route - let me know and I will search other sites for some solutions for you.

Bob

Old 12-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Diesel Fan

no i have the 5 speed getrag thanks though

Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Diesel Fan

The G360 has speedometer drive gear problem. The drive gear is held in place by a bushing on either side of it, as a result if the bushings are not tight the drive gear will slip causing erratic or no movement thus causing speedometer problems including no speedometer movement. What needs to be done is to drop the drive shaft from the back of the tranny the tighten the yoke nut holding the splined rear shaft. This will force the bushings to compress the drive gear and keep it from moving. I've seen cases where a 1/4" of tightening has brought a speedo back to life. The Torque spec on the yoke nut is 280 ft lbs. This was first discovered on 4X4s but also applies to 4X2s it was a problem with mine and was fixed by using the above solution.

Bob

Old 12-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 91cumminsboy
no i have the 5 speed getrag thanks though
the g360 is the getrag. its the same tranny. look on the tag on the tranny it tells you right on there. so give what he said a shot it just might work for ya

Old 12-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Diesel Fan

ohh alright sorry my bad im kinda new to all this but ill give it a try after all this snow melts also any advice for the fuel guage it doesnt work but the sending unit is good and the guage is too also i have no wait to start light

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also would this cause my odemeter not to work to sorry im jus haven all kinds of problems with this

Last edited by 91cumminsboy; 12-25-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Diesel Fan

If my fix suggestion works you will probably get the odometer back too.

Bob

Old 12-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Diesel Bomber

the odometer should work off of the speedometer in a gear setup. at least thats how alot of them work. as for the wait to start light its a whole different system. if you 91 is a 91.5 and has a computer, it has to do with your computer. if its a 91 that doesnt have a computer your wait to start light i believe comes from the intake heater control box on the firepanel. as for electrical stuff like that you cant diagnose it really over a computer. you need to get a hold of a wire diagram and physically start testing wires and components. but start by checking fuses, its something anyone can do.

as for your gas gauge its kind of the same story, you gotta get a diagram, then bring out your multi meter and start testing wires. but always check all your plugs, you never know something could have just gotten unplugged at one point and not plugged back in

Old 12-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Diesel Fan

yeah its a 91.5 kinda a pain in the a$$ but what can you do ill try to check and see if its getting juice could that be the reason of no speedo either

Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Diesel Bomber

well your wait to start light is going to be sent from the computer. it might send +12 but i think i might remember it sending a ground signal but i dont remember. you HAVE to get wiring diagrams to solve these problems. do you know how to use a multimeter and check continuity and stuff? if so message me ill walk you through it.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Speedometer