1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Well Im pretty sure my torque converter took a $#!@ today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Well Im pretty sure my torque converter took a $#!@ today...

Does anybody know how much those Goerend torque converters are for the 727's or what my best options would be at this point? What is the price difference between stock and aftermarket. im beyond broke already and now Im without a vehicle for the second time in a month after 3 years of reliable service out of my Dodge, that thing is killin me here lately

Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

if you are strapped for cash buy a cheap one off fleabay.... it will get you rolling better than you are now..... then in the future get the tranny built up nice with a good converter.....

that is what i would do.....

The following users liked this post:
jasonfriedlin (11-30-2009)
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Diesel Bomber

Thanks Ben, I had it towed to the shop they are gonna look at tomorrow. It has been kinda weak for about the last week and today was the first time i really had a place to get on it for more than a second or two and it shifted thru all 3 gears but was weak feelin power wise, then I felt somethin let go and the engine was revving up with no forward motion anymore. I've got no forward or reverse gears and there is a weird metal grinding noise inside the bellhousing right behind the flywheel and at first there was a few puffs of smoke out of the bottom of the bellhousing after I pulled off with the truck still idling. IDK what happened but the torque converter seems like the logical place to start. I looked at the fluid on the dipstick and it still was red, not burnt at all and right where it is supposed to be fluid level wise.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

either the converter or the input shaft, could be both.... i have seen the splines shear off the shaft and the converter on a powerstroke 4 times before the guy decided it was monetarily a better decision to replace the $13 stock input shaft with a billet aftermarket one, he was tired of pulling the tranny every month....

do you hear the tranny shift into the gears when you go from forward to reverse? if not then it is the above, if you can hear a little clunk or hear some grinding then i'd venture to say it is something internal....

could always look at putting a handshaker in there..... but that would be more than getting the auto going.....

what about getting a junk yard tranny put in for the time being? that could be another option....

Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Diesel Bomber

No, you cant hear it shift gears at all. Something right up in the front sounds likie it is grinding on the flywheel, could even hear it while the starter was turning to fire it back up. I forgot I had my new manual fuel shutoff cable off pulled out and cranked the engine over a few times. Hopefully it wont be any big deal, the transmission has been a good one and was rebuilt right before I bought the truck.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

torque converter bolts.... if they are not tight they will rub the bell housing I have run into that on a couple instances

Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by 440ctd
torque converter bolts.... if they are not tight they will rub the bell housing I have run into that on a couple instances
Will that make the truck not move anymore?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it will make that noise and if all snapped it wont move. input shaft could also have snapped and also the transmission could have bit the dust mine was rebuilt before i bought it and it bit the dust recently. no reverse and slipping in forward gears when I got it home

jasonfriedlin (12-01-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

My money's on his flexplate has the center hub torn out (a common thing with stock/OEM 1st gens).

- Replace it with a stock 2nd gen flexplate.

jasonfriedlin (12-01-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by BC847
My money's on his flexplate has the center hub torn out (a common thing with stock/OEM 1st gens).

- Replace it with a stock 2nd gen flexplate.
Does anybody have any pictures or drawings of what is in there? I cant say I've ever pulled an automatic transmission out of anything

Quick Reply: Well Im pretty sure my torque converter took a $#!@ today...