1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

gov spring 3200?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default gov spring 3200?

hey guys im new to this but i got a question about a gov spring size 3200 someone told me tht it would get rid of the lag between gears and give it more get up and go? wat do ya ll think?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

does ne one have ne idea wat he was tlkin bout?

does ne one have ne idea wat he was tlkin bout?

does ne one know of a different gov spring tht i could put in the fuel pump for reduced lag?

Last edited by 1st genny nut; 11-27-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

That "lag between gears" you speak of is caused by the stock governed injection pump not fueling high enough to keep it in the middle of the powerband at shift point. The 3200GSK gives it an extra 1k rpm to fuel, letting you comfortably wind it up enough to grab the next gear without losing power when you shift. Best money to be spent on a 1st Gen stick truck, no exceptions. Not much $ either, around $20, give or take.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks nadirpoint much appreciated do u have ne other suggestions for more power?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
That "lag between gears" you speak of is caused by the stock governed injection pump not fueling high enough to keep it in the middle of the powerband at shift point. The 3200GSK gives it an extra 1k rpm to fuel, letting you comfortably wind it up enough to grab the next gear without losing power when you shift. Best money to be spent on a 1st Gen stick truck, no exceptions. Not much $ either, around $20, give or take.
X2 Well put, man.

As far as more power goes, as soon as you do the spring, your truck will come to life. Then a few turns on the full pwer screw will make it a new truck. Look in the "sticky" and study all the injection pump tricks. An aftermarket fuel pin will put you on the next level, and you tune the pump to accomidate all your mods and you'll love it... for a while then you'll be ready for injectors and lift pump etc... but for now the cheep and free mods are all in the sticky for your enjoyment. I didn't mention turbo, because I know you're already workin on it.

Last edited by muskrat; 11-27-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thnx man ill proly get the spring put in and mess wit the pump a little and get it smokin and once i get the turbo and exhaust housin and the 4" exhaust i should be makin some major power do u recommend gauges for wat im doing?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Diesel Wrench

ABSOLUTLEY!!! Having a diesel without gauges is silly in the first place. BUT when messing with your pump gauges are a must. Start with a pyrometer(EGTs), and a boost gauge. Then you can get other gauges ie. fuel preaesure, tranny temp(if you have an auto) etc.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok i gotcha ne idea wat the best gauges would be?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Diesel Wrench

I have autometers and an isspro They are both pretty good, if you ask me. When you're ready to order gauges go to the price quote section and post you're looking to order guages and you will get bombarded with sweet hook-ups from our sponsors on this site. Plus, you can go to the contest and give away section, and post on that because DB is giving away gauges and a pod!

Old 11-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

oh wow man ur full of info thnx again free gauges wats better than tht thanks for all ur help u ll find other threads ive started in the near future please post thnx again

Old 11-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by 1st genny nut
oh wow man ur full of info thnx again free gauges wats better than tht thanks for all ur help u ll find other threads ive started in the near future please post thnx again

Quick Reply: gov spring 3200?