1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

K&N air filters

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well thank you i have a K&N in my truck right now and was just wondering if i should keep it or not

Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Any of you guys running K&Ns ever done a used oil analysis to see how much dirt is getting through that filter?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm running a k&n cold air intake on my truck, and have had no problems thus far (about 70,000 miles with it on). I think if you go to k&n's site it will explain that many of the reported oil problems have been falsely diagnosed as filter oil problems. I have never had any problems and I tend to liberally apply the oil on mine. Take a look at the amount of oil inside a stock 7.3L intake and it should calm your worries about oil problems from filter oiling. I've never seen any heavy oil residue in my turbo.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by jfoose
I think if you go to k&n's site it will explain that many of the reported oil problems have been falsely diagnosed as filter oil problems.
Ya think! Show me any vendor's ads, marketing material, web site, whatever that fails to sing the praises of their products. The simple fact they address the issue at all has to make you wonder.

Any effect from over-oiled filter residue would be the least of my worries. I ran a K&N on my 1st Gen for the first year or so after I got the truck, just because it was already on there. I also installed a Gulf Coast bypass filter. So the oil in that engine cannot for all practical purposes get any better filtration. The first sample after 6 months and 5,000 miles came back excellent. The second sample after a year and about 10,000 miles came back excellent as well (lower than average wear numbers), with one exception: Si (Silicon). The level by then had tripled to well above average. It just took that long to accumulate enough in the oil to come back out of spec. K&N went in the trash the next day.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well im glad to hear more than a couple of guys are running those with no problems !!! i was double guessing my first purchase for my rig.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by fathead
....running those with no problems !!!
...That they know of. It's kinda like the tree falls in the forest thing: If dirty oil is wearing out your engine twice as fast as it would otherwise, does it make a sound?

Old 11-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

here's a little test for yall take a smidg of oil wipe it on the inside of the intake pipe right after the filter run a stock paper, bhaf paper, K&N, or whatever for a oil change interval 3000 miles for me then look at the oil spot hell just do it for a day then look see how much dirt has collected there the K&N filters (X) amount of CFM in a small package witch equals poor filtration a bhaf paper passes the same (X) amount of CFM as the K&N but its has to be twice as big to get the flow because it filters better equaling less flow per square inch there's nothing wrong with the washable/oilable filters LIKE the k&N for instance Brute force is a good one they take what was said into consideration when design

just a thought

Old 11-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding engine oil analysis:
I've had engine oil analysis done after every 6000 mile oil change and have never had on come back that was not OK to continue to use. From day one - I bought the truck new in Jan of '93 - all measured levels of all tested areas have been consistantly excellant.

Bob

Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Diesel Bomber

I'll post a copy of my Blackstone report for you to see for yourselves soon as I get around to it. There are lesser factors like the part of the country you live in and your usage patterns that can affect a K&N's perfomance to a significant degree. Certain areas will generate finer dust particles and there's more of it floating around heavily used highways.

Just curious Bob, where do you live, and how do you use the thruck?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

NadirPoint, yeah, I do think. I've been running oil analysis on my truck for little over 70,000 now and have yet to have the silicon levels come back high enough to reach average. How long do I wait until the levels are supposed to be elevated? Use the product the way the manufacterer intended and it will perform accordingly. I was just trying to provide some information that a bomber might find helpful, that's all. If you don't like K&N, buy somehing else, still America right?

Quick Reply: K&N air filters