1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Little help for a fellow bomber

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help for a fellow bomber

hey guys I have a ford F-250 6.0L and I'm getting sick and tired of all the problems I have with it. I've been considering buying a 1st gen dodge 12 valve and selling my truck. What are the commons problems with them and how hard is it to make them go fast. what are some good mods you guys do to them. thanks in advance.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

a good fuel pin and a 3200 RPM spring seems to be favorite from what ive read....and problems i think its just your typical dodge deals...auto tranny i think the 727 tranny like the one that is in RSWORDS truck has a held up fairly decent with just a goerend converter

Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

well it's a typical old truck. Youll probably only find em with bad paint, and little things go bad. On the upside, they are almost all easy fixes, and it will never leave you sittin on the side of the road

Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TTipsword
well it's a typical old truck. Youll probably only find em with bad paint, and little things go bad. On the upside, they are almost all easy fixes, and it will never leave you sittin on the side of the road
X2 Go for the cummins, IMHO cant beat em. Not a fan of the Strokers or fords for that matter youll be happy with the cummins and if you DO have problems a whole lot easier to fix and work on than the other diesels, and again JMHO. lovin the CTD

Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

drivetrain is pretty solid, with maybe an auto or clutch being the killer.. most all problems i've run into have to deal with the dodge end of things, 3200 gov spring and a fuel pin.. turbo exhaust housing would be the go-fast parts.. oh and taller than stock tires! I think I max out around 90mph on stock size tires with the 5spd and 3.5 gears.

be prepared for a kidney busting ride tho as compared to your ford, it's very unforgiving!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...r-1st-gen.html

just read through that

Last edited by Budgreen; 11-18-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Diesel Fan

You could put the 1st gen in the Ford I did it, made a nice combo.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like they said...auto's dont hold up to much power stock, Rust around the sides of the roof and the rocker panels (I believe), the Killer dowel pin falling out is a problem that some like to fix early on because it could fall out and leave you stranded. Theres not a whole lot of interior space in the regular cabs (if your a big guy) and the back seat of the club cab is a joke for putting people in the back. Thats all I can think of at the time. Overall though they are a blast to drive and power is pretty easily had. The biggest advantage for adding power with the 12 valve is its so easy to get to everything.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by cumminsfreak86
Like they said...auto's dont hold up to much power stock, Rust around the sides of the roof and the rocker panels (I believe), the Killer dowel pin falling out is a problem that some like to fix early on because it could fall out and leave you stranded. Theres not a whole lot of interior space in the regular cabs (if your a big guy) and the back seat of the club cab is a joke for putting people in the back. Thats all I can think of at the time. Overall though they are a blast to drive and power is pretty easily had. The biggest advantage for adding power with the 12 valve is its so easy to get to everything.
I'm like 5'8 160LBS soaking wet. So space is not exactly a problem. and I thought about putting a 12valve in my ford but 1. I don't have much money and 2. I don't know how to begin to do a engine swap... Unless some people would like to help... thanks for all the help already. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research on them. How hard is it to keep the dowel pin from falling out?

Last edited by antibullock; 11-19-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Default how do i turn it up

Originally Posted by TTipsword
hey i got a 1993 12 valve i want to turn the fuel up but not sure where the adjustment screw is on the injection pump

Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

See the link I posted in the other thread you tried to hijack!

Quick Reply: Little help for a fellow bomber