1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

How much boost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much boost?

How much boost can you get from a stock turbo with some pump tweaks, POD injectors and the stock exhaust housing? I'm getting about 20 psi max now when I really lay into it, I haven't done much with the pump, the mechanic that rebuilt it and installed my PODs set it up and said to more or less leave it alone or come see him again if I want more power, but he's pricey and lives a long way away now. I've read that some of the guys on here are making 40+ psi of boost. Is the best route to change the exhaust housing on the turbo to a 14 or 16 cm one? So far the highest I've seen my EGTs is about 1150 preturbo, so I don't think I'm in any danger there, but with the PODs at idle it'll haze a bit, and when I really stomp it there is a lot of black smoke even as it runs up through the RPMs. So I'm trying to turn that fuel into power, I'm assuming I need more boost to do so. Also running stock intake with a BHAF on it. Thanks for any info you guys can give me. I'm having fun with this diesel stuff, sort of like having a carb all over again. Just with the added fun and tweaks of a turbo set up.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The H1C specs out at 18 psi max boost. If I get on it I'll get upto almost 30 psi, some guys are getting in the low to mid 30s. But I dont think That old turbo will live long boosting that high. I really try not to run it up too high untill my upgrade gets here. If your EGTs are only at 1150* @ WOT then you have room to turn up the full power screw. Especially since your signiture says you're getting bigger exhaust. Expect your EGTs to drop at least a hundred or two degrees after you get that done. Just becareful when you start dicking with the full power screw, because of runaway. Read up on pump tweeking threads. Have fun, dude.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I am getting 45 psi out of my upgraded H1C in my 93.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

That's awesome Richie! I know i have the up grade in my signiture, but I havn't recieved it yet, GDS has the upgrade on back order. I ordered it at the begining of Oct. and can't wait to get it. How do you like it? I watched your video kickin *** at the drag strip. Your truck is pretty sweet.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by muskrat
That's awesome Richie! I know i have the up grade in my signiture, but I havn't recieved it yet, GDS has the upgrade on back order. I ordered it at the begining of Oct. and can't wait to get it. How do you like it? I watched your video kickin *** at the drag strip. Your truck is pretty sweet.
If the video your talking about is the one with my blue 89 then that is a S300G turbo. My 93 is the one with the gds. I have no data of before the upgrade because I changed it while I was rebuilding the truck. I never drove it with the stock turbo on it. I assume it must help some but who knows. One thing for sure is that it is way to small for the 6x16 injectors. I have 3 full turns left in the pump and the temps are 1500 plus on a hard empty run.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Diesel Fan

So will cranking the full power screw create more boost to get the fuel burned or just dump more fuel? I'm seriously wanting the 16 or 14 cm housing to get rid of the lag from the 21 cm housing. What else does the upgrade entail? Thanks for the info guys, I've already read lots on pump tweaks and know how to do most of them, just haven't had the chance to tear into it much and find out where the pump is at right now, since it was tuned by the diesel mechanic that installed my PODs. But I'm definitely wanting to do the exhaust housing on the current turbo and then the exhaust all at once since the downpipe is cracked where it mates to the turbo and has a bit of a leak when you goose the throttle Thanks again guys. Richie, sounds like you've got yours tuned pretty well. How do those 6x16s compare with PODs? I know they advertised the PODs as somewhere around 60-70 hp without messing with the pump too much. Can't wait to really get the old girl rolling.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

30psi max

Old 11-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Diesel Fan

Oh yeah, I also tow with this truck, it's my tow rig for my 2.5 ton Jeep and whatever else we hook behind the old girl. So I'm wanting a safe level that I can still tow at least 9-12K lbs regularly.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 92W250
Richie, sounds like you've got yours tuned pretty well. How do those 6x16s compare with PODs? I know they advertised the PODs as somewhere around 60-70 hp without messing with the pump too much. Can't wait to really get the old girl rolling.

They are a big injector, run pretty smokey, and run hot. THERE GREAT

Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just so you guys know before my intercooler i was boostinh 45psi with a 60mm compressor upgrade, with the intercooler i am making about 37psi

Quick Reply: How much boost?