1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!!!!!!

Well I got my reman injection pump put on the truck last night and needless to say it was not pretty. My issue is I finally got it to start, by pushing the pump to the cylinder head. It seemed like it was running really well so I decided to take it on a test drive. The truck did great in 1st thru 4th gears then when I went to mash on it in 5th gear it would only get to 20lbs of boost and cut out like there was no fuel(I have a new 2nd gen piston pump w/ low pressure spring). My gauge was reading 0psi fuel pressure all the sudden never did that before. Got the truck back home shut off the truck and looked to make sure there were no fuel leaks or anything, and everything looked fine. Started the truck back up and the gauge jumped back up to 16psi like normal. Started tapping the throttle and watched the gauge drop down every time i hit the throttle till it was on 0psi. Went on a second test drive did fine halfway down the road then on the way back it started idling at 2000rpm and would not come down, got it back home and it would not shut off with the key. Turn off the key it would idle down to were it should be and would not shut off. Had to shut off the engine with the shutdown lever. Please help, I just want my truck to run again,!
Thanks

Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

It sounds like you got the timing off on the installation, most likely that happens when you use the nut on the shaft to draw the pump on instead of sliding it on by hand and the key gets sheared.

Low fuel pressure is going to be a fuel filter or lift pump problem, that won't have anything to do with the injection pump unless they screwed it up and put a bigger bypass in it or something weird.

The no-shut-down issue points at a fuel shut-down solenoid issue. Either it's getting a constant 12 volts because it's wired wrong, or it shredded itself. They tend to shred themselves on pumps that are turned up with small (stock-ish) injectors. Is this pump turned up from stock? Did you tell the pump guys that you wanted a hot pump?

It sounds to me like you have several things wrong here.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a reman pump nothing fancy just stock. I have PODs for injectors. Have not turned up the pump yet. wanted to get it running right first. The pump slid right in when I went to put the new one on, fit like a glove. Can I just do away with the shut down soileoid all together and put a cable on it? That would eliminate one possible issue.