1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

My New Toy--93 Dodge Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

That thing looks clean. I started out in a 96, too, sold it to get out of payments and paid cash for my 93! Mine also has the captains chairs, too, I like those things, except for my passenger side reclining seat back has a stripped gear so it doesn't hold

Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 D/UNIT
Been there and done that a couple times,,,
yeahhh well dummy me; didnt check the setting of the welder; assumed they were set from where i was welding my flat bed up... i forgot my cousins husband; who is shady at best had welded something... struck that arc for like a second just enough to put a little metal on... i had a two piece fuel pin, the main body on the ground clamp and the cone sitting on the floor so; basically had to make a fuel cone; recenter and regrind a profile what a pain in the

Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

I just found a shoulder bolt of the right dimension, cut it to size and went off on it with the bench grinder then hit it up with the dremel to polish... 100% better now. and I still have the stock pin in case i get to feeling old and slow.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 AM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Nice clean rig! And for the valve cover q it looks like it just got a shot of red pain to dress it up some.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 93 I just bought has an BD exhaust brake on it.. I dont know much about exhaust brakes. There seems to be some wires disconnected where the vacumes run from on the top of the engine. It has a switch inside that says "BD retarder".. Where do the wires go?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by jumpnjed
the 93 I just bought has an BD exhaust brake on it.. I dont know much about exhaust brakes. There seems to be some wires disconnected where the vacumes run from on the top of the engine. It has a switch inside that says "BD retarder".. Where do the wires go?
Jed, I've got a BD on mine, too. Didn't have a BD switch in my cab but a shifter mounted push-pull (like the ones used for a 2 speed rear diff on a med-heavy duty truck) but ended up putting a toggle switch in the console right behind the cup holder.

The wires go to a series of two solenoids and a microswitch under the hood. Microswitch is mounted on the timing cover for the throttle cable to hit and engage at throttle closed; the two solenoids are likely on top of the engine. One solenoid is for the vacuum valve that controls the wastegate actuator, the other is for opening the wastegate if the exh manifold pressure goes too high.

Here's what mine looks like:
Name:  downsized_1015090842.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  35.3 KB

Old 10-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ill get some pics of under the hood that will show more detail of the brake. Ill try to find the other selanoid. then ill c if i can figure the wiring out with a lil help. does anyone have a diagram of how it is plumed and wired? If so that would be very helpfull...

Old 10-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

congrats on the new diesel its a 12v cant go wrong

Old 10-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Diesel Bomber

Jed, the wiring is all in series or in line, follow the wiring from the in-cab switch out to the engine compartment. One wire from the in-cab switch is either gonna go to power or ground, the other wire is going to go into the throttle switch, then the vacuum solenoid and if you have it, then the pressure release solenoid.

If you have power to the in-cab switch, then the wire at the end of the line under the hood is gonna go to ground or vice verse, does that make sense?

Old 10-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yep.. I think I figured it out.. Thx greasemonkey. Also do I need a billet shaft and a TC lockup switch to run the exhaust brake?

Quick Reply: My New Toy--93 Dodge Cummins