1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

46rh shift linkage question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 46rh shift linkage question

hey guys as most of you probably know im finishing up my chevy cummins conversion im just doing up my shift linkage thats the last thing on my agenda.

well heres my problem:
i got the chevy automatic steering column (its got this shift pattern on the column - P,R,N,D,2,1)

and here is the dodge shift pattern on the 46rh (P,R,N,4,3,2,1)

well as you can see there is one more shift point on the dodge than the column. no matter how i position my shift linkage i cant get 1st gear. i can get park through 2nd fine, but i cant get 1st. and if i get it at first, i cant get park.

anyone know a way to change this? do i need a new shift linkage line or what? any ideas? all help is appreciated

Old 09-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

change the "throw" on the column under the hood

Old 09-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
change the "throw" on the column under the hood
whats that mean/ never heard of it or know what it is. sorry haha

Old 09-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's the origonal 93 trans it has the same selection as the chevy column. The overdrive is controled electonicaly not by a move of the shifter so if that is the case you will be fine with the chevy pattern on the shifter, just need to do some wiring to hook up the overdrive.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Diesel Bomber

i already wired everything for overdrive including the od turn off button and what not. but whatever is going on is making me not be able to hit all of the gears.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Free89W350
If it's the origonal 93 trans it has the same selection as the chevy column. The overdrive is controled electonicaly not by a move of the shifter so if that is the case you will be fine with the chevy pattern on the shifter, just need to do some wiring to hook up the overdrive.
when you say your not making it into 4th are you talking about lock-up? b/c there are 3 speed with overdrive and overdrive can be considered 4th... if its a plain jane 3 speed (i'm not too familiar with the trans style) then yeah no modification is needed... i thought you meant it had its own D321 selection on the trans... if it isnt hittin OD i'd be looking into that circuit... i know its a hydraulic controlled trans; but does it still need a TPS? with no TPS signal it's not going to hit OD

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i guess i'm not following your situation too well... i keep re-reading it and thinking of different situations and solutions... pop your linkage off of the lever on the transmission and count how many "clicks" or positions there are... if you have 7 positions then trying to increase the throw may be the solution. i'll take a pic of my steering column and point to what you'll have to cut and extend (i assume chevy design will be similar)

Last edited by tower_ofpower; 09-30-2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Diesel Bomber

it has a working tps. its not that it isnt hitting 4th, i cant get it to go into first gear. even without it running it still wont go into first because i cant pull my shifter down far enough i run out of cable to shift with. and if i reposition my cable under the truck to fit first, than i cant get it into park. its like the transmission has 1 more shift gear than i have on my column.

when i have it in park and i take the shifter all the way down itll only go to 2nd. but then if i get under the truck i can push it into first with my finger but its limiting out on the shifter and its trying to fight me

Old 09-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

its all in the lever

Old 09-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by hotcummins
its all in the lever
how would i go about making it work? any ideas?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Diesel Bomber

get us a pic of your linkage... you said your using a cable... so its gotta go from the column to the cable some how... by lengthening the rod on your column under the hood you'll be able increase ammount of cable that is pushed/pulled... this should make it so you can hit all positions

Quick Reply: 46rh shift linkage question