1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Bench seat in rear of Ext cab? Anyone try it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bench seat in rear of Ext cab? Anyone try it?

Hey all L0L its me again. Man I got alot of Questions it seems like about 1st gens!

Anyways Has anyone tryd to put a bench seat in the ext. cab 1st gen dodges? I was looking and wonderin if the bench seat from a dakota would work to where there was still alittle leg room but the main reason I want it is to be able to put a car seat back there and it be in the middle.

Anyways heres a photo of the seats I was thinkin of putting in if yall think itd work. This is the main thing holding me up from deciding on buying a single cab or ext cab 1st gen. If this would work id like the ext. but if it wont i think id rather just get the single cab.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

i'm not too familiar with the extended cabs floor design... if it is flat; it may work... the dakota bench seats base is flat and where they "build them up" is used as a storage area... eitherway it will require fabrication of a base, and mounts for everything, other thn that i'm pretty sure it'll all fit... a dakota should be narrower than a first gen so bench seat length shouldnt be a problem

Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I think it would work. And I know i'd have to make brackets for the seats and do some support in the cab to make them safe to seat in. But I figured they would fit nicely in the back and there be some room for ppl to sit or just have the car seat in the middle there at least.

But I figured it would be a cheap enough project. The seats are $75.00 so it wont cost me alot if I do decide to get the ext cab. I was just hoping that maybe some one on here had did this or maybe seen something along these lines.

Anyways if anyone else has any ideas let me know. Thanks yall

TC

Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

I think it would be awesome

I have considered this, but after installing a second gen 40/20/40 bench in the front it just feels like there would be 0 legroom in the rear... it's seems like the space is there, but it's not kinda like an optical illusion.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

For what you want, yeah it will work.....

Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Do the dakota benches normally come with the extra glass?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

i dont know if you have looked into options but i have seen an 88-98 chevy silverado rear ext cab seat put in a dodge and it looked nice. best part is it only takes a small piece of square tubing on each side to mount it. very simple install

Old 09-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a custom one built in my truck

Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TC did you ever get the bench put into your ext cab? im looking to do this with my 93 and was curious about a dakota rear bench.

RockyMountainTexan do you have any pics or stats on yours?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Nick, if you go on 'another' forum and do a search for bench seat or whatever, you'll find a few threads on it. It'd be hard, but not impossible. There's not much leg room back there but folks have done it. Still, if you only want it for a car seat, (I'd really like to put one in my truck, too!) then you don't have to worry about leg room. Maybe look in to tltruckparts suggestion about the Chevy seat.

Quick Reply: Bench seat in rear of Ext cab? Anyone try it?