1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

93 cummins with auto trans - need help with trans cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 93 cummins with auto trans - need help with trans cooler lines

hey guys i got my cummins runnin today and its blowin oil out of the lines that i dont have hooked up from the transmissions. i am able to get some of them hooked up at least the ones that i know where they go. but there are two that i dont know where they go to. i know where all the metal lines go pretty much lost on the rubber lines. any way anyone could draw me up a quick little drawing on microsoft paint or something just on where the trans lines go to or give me a pointer on where they go? alldata is no help with this one.

thanks in advance!!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which lines... do you have the factory under the bed cooler. did you unhook the lines from the "heat exchanger" under the turbo.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Diesel Bomber

i dont know what came stock under the bed or not i put the motor in a chevy truck. is the heat exchanger that black sphere thing mounted on the passenger side of the block? if thats what it is i still have the lines hooked up there and both of them go to the trans cooler

Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

You need to just start following them. Some pics for us would help us help you.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Diesel Bomber

Name:  DSCF2209.jpg
Views: 5768
Size:  82.5 KB

this is the first one that i dont know where it goes. it is the one with the 90 degree turn it in.

Name:  DSCF2207.jpg
Views: 6865
Size:  90.6 KB

this is the second one. it is the one towards the back of the engine (on the left in the pic) it drops down and turns to rubber hose and i dont know where it goes from there.

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys

Old 09-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Should have one from the front cooler fitting on the trans up to the rear of the heat exchanger

one from the front of the exchanger to the cooler itself

and one from the back trans fitting straight to the cooler

I can't see how it would matter which direction the fluid actually moves through the system, so think of it as being 2 lines off of the transmission, up to the oil cooler, with one of them being detoured up through the heat exchanger

Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Some one has hacked that thing up. Maybe some of teh guys with more experince in teh trannys will come in. I dont run a extra underbed cooler so I'm not too sure on teh line routing.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by RSWORDS
Some one has hacked that thing up. Maybe some of teh guys with more experince in teh trannys will come in. I dont run a extra underbed cooler so I'm not too sure on teh line routing.
ya thats what i though too thats why i didnt understand where the lines went.

i drew up this little picture. does this look like it would work? it would send the trans output to the heat transfer, then from the heat transfer to the tranny cooler, than from the tranny cooler back to the trans. does this look like itll work? thanks everyone for their input!

Name:  trans.jpg
Views: 3695
Size:  8.4 KB

Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

The transmission port in the first picture is the hot line; that is where the ATF leaves the transmission and is at it's hottest.

The return line to the transmission is back on the same side, towards the rear.

The stock fluid flow is from the hotline to the rear port of the liquid-to-liquid exchanger on the side of the engine, from the front port of the liquid-to-liquid exchanger to the finny cooler, then from the finny cooler to the rear port on the transmission.

But, the direction or path of fluid flow doesn't really matter.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Diesel Bomber

cool i should be able to get that to work no problem. thanks for the info begle1 that is EXACTLY what i needed to know!

Quick Reply: 93 cummins with auto trans - need help with trans cooler lines