1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

band ajustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default band ajustment

Hi I have a 1992 250 automatic with overdrive, I have heard that the trans bands should be ajusted every 24 thousand miles or so, is this true, if so how is this proceedure done.
thanks Phil

Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To do this you will need:

- 5/16" 8 point socket
- 3/4" and 11/16" deep socket
- small torque wrench(one that reads in inch pounds, the same drive as your 5/16" socket)

On the left side of the trans. case just above the your shift/kickdown linkage, you will see a nut(3/4") with a square head bolt sticking through it. This is the adjustment screw for your front(kickdown) band.

Crack this nut loose, and back it off

Tighten the adjustment screw(5/16" square) to 72 inch pounds

Back the screw off 2 turns, and tighten lock nut

The process for the rear(low/reverse) band is identical. You need to drop the pan to get at the adjustment screw. It looks just like the one up front on the outside, and it will be on a lever on the right side of the transmission, to the rear of the valvebody. The only difference is this one is a slightly smaller lock nut(11/16" socket)

Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a million, I knew someone hear would have the answer, again thankyou

Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

just goin by what my trans guy has told me.... 2 turns tends to be abit sloppy... turn and a half is the way he told me to go... keeps plenty of slack and tension all at the same time while not being too sloppy and causing a mushy shift or too tight and excessive wear. just a more positive feel that's just my transmission guy and his experience... the above stated is absolutely correct by OE proceedure. torque specs are the same either way

Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Diesel Fan

absolutely, i like mine a bit tighter too, but the feel for how much tighter takes time to pick up right, i diddnt want to be the guy that explained how i do em and then have it burn down on him because i might have missed something in my directions

It seems like every band you ever buy is a little different than the next, the best way ive found to dial them right in is by feel/smell, but it takes time and your under the truck daily for like a week if you want it perfect

slow engagement into reverse or a shudder when your backing up a bit of a hill means the rear band is too loose, snug it up a bit(1/4 to 3/8 of a turn at a time), and run it like that, if you smell "burning transmission"(you know the smell i mean) under normal driving conditions, that means its too tight, you want that fine line between sloppy and cooking itself

if the kickdown when you get after the go pedal real vigorously is lazy, (or if it smells like burning tranny when you get out of the truck after hotrodding it a bit on your way into the parking lot or down your street on the way home) the front band is too loose, same rules apply here(you just dont have to get wet when you have to adjust this one!), tighten it up a little at a time untill it grabs better, but not so tight that it stinks when your park it after a normal drive

Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

well, trans burning may be mixed in with brakes on my truck... just put ceramic pads and such on the front... work great but they still arent fully seated in... atleast they weren't... when i'd stop they'd stink abit... but i do belive i need to adjust the bands on mine... every now and then it'll rev high going from 2nd to 3rd, figured i'd do it all when i buy the cheap shift kit; drill a hole and re route some of the fluid using the plates they give you

Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So a real sluggish **** and a shutter on low accel is a loose band?

Man if that is all I need to do I'm gonna be shittin bricks with excitement!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The sluggish **** is just BONESTOCKNESS coming out when you hit the go pedal

Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by pewder
So a real sluggish **** and a shutter on low accel is a loose band?

Man if that is all I need to do I'm gonna be shittin bricks with excitement!

Provided its a transmission problem causing it, a service/band adjustment is a good place to start, but i havent personally had one shutter going forwards, they tend to just slip in the forward gears, when you do decide to service the tranny, throw half a quart of brake fluid in it when you refill it, that'll soften and swell up all the seals in there, works wonders on an older transmission or one that was parked for an extended length of time

Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

The sluggish-**** is the factory/OEM converter!