1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

What did I do???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default What did I do???

Hi guys. Last weekend I did my 366 spring, today I decided to put in gauges . I got everthing hooked up except drilling the manifold for pyro. The boost is all hooked up and when I started her up the idle is fine but if i giv'er throtle, she chugs and blows thick white smoke. I don't get it. all I did was plug in the boost line... did I screw that up???

Attached Thumbnails What did I do???-imgp0882.jpg  
Old 08-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

what gauges did you install? and did one of them happen to be a fuel pressure gauge? possible air in the system somewhere?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Diesel Wrench

Autometer z-series,0-60 psi. It's definetly boost. What do you mean by air in the system, like leaky plumbing?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Diesel Bomber

like air getting into the fuel system. does it pop at all under accel or load?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by muskrat
93 Cummins 12v 4x4 pyro, boost, 3200 gov spring, turned up pump, Black Ice air freshener. 5" stack...coming soon.
what kinda numbers do you pull off with the air freshner very nice man

Last edited by tower_ofpower; 08-09-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower

what kinda numbers do you pull off with the air freshner very nice man

LAMO

Old 08-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Diesel Bomber

what's the possibility of gettin some dirt in your pump when you were doing the 366 spring? i did notice it looks like it could use a bath... might run a degree or two cooler w/o the protective layer of dirt

Old 08-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Diesel Wrench

O.k. Maybe it's a little dirty but mostly it's not photogenic. I ran it around here and there all week it ran like a top. I had no time to put the gauges during the week so i didn't push it but everything was good for sure. Drove it Fri., put the gauges on today, and now it's all effed up...I've gotta quit messing with my rig on Sunday afternoon. Bad juju.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Diesel Bomber

no doubt... out there to the college most instructors didnt let you work on your vehicles on thursdays unless it was straight forward... being the end of the class week and all

Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmm.... Me thinks I would bleed out the fuel system and see if you have an air issue. Could be a hole somewhere. Not having worked on the old mechanicals much, that would be my starting point. My experience runs to baby Cat's in mixers that are non computer. They do nasty when they get air in the lines. (for whatever reason they do get air in the lines.....) I have had to bleed injectors more than once on a Cat that ran fine for weeks, then suddenly, ran like ****, or wouldn't start, all because of some air... From what I hear on the forum, there is also the possibility that you could have an issue with timing. Anyway, just a couple thoughts! Hope that bad mo-jo goes away soon, I know how irritating it is!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Diesel Bomber

hmmmm timing... severely retarded timing could do it... it's time to bump it up anyways i guess 1/8th above the factory scribe on the timing case cover is plenty. it's about what i'm running. i forget where i got the video on how to do it... i think i asked about it and someone posted it... got a pretty sweet idea from it with a ratchet strap... hook the afc housing, board over the valve covers, and he anchored it in the fender... i hooked it on the mount for the airbox... then ya just tighten it up... it'll pull the pump torwards the head (advance) ya need an S wrench or a starter wrench with a 12 or 13 mm...i got lucky and found an old specialty wrench that was a 12 point 1/2" all wallered out, took the torch to it and made afew "custom bends" since NO ONE had the correct wrench... the rest.... went up in smoke