1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Splicer gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Splicer gearbox

Just picked up a splicer 5 speed to put in my '90 3500 2wd.In need on another adapter plate.The one that came with the tranny has the starter on the pass. side.A while back someone put a post up about having a truck junk yard.All my searching and can not find the post.Or if anyone has one they would want to part with.Also looking for suggesting on how to modify the clutch.Presently it is cable operated.Thank in advance.Great site never enough time to keep up with it all.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Is there any reason you cant use the passengerside starter? Extend some wires, a new starter, Done... as long as it clears the downpipe. Your gonna probably need some kinda body lift for that large tranny to fit wont you? No ideas on the clutch! Keep us updated It sounds lik a really cool project!

Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Splicer gearbox

A different adapter plate with the starter on the driver's side should not be a big issue(I hope).Creating an auxiliary overdrive gearbox will be quite the battle.Has and one heard of running a divorced 205 backwards? Lifting the cab fro clearance.I was hoping to raise the tranny tunnel to clear the transmission.Yea,a starter on the driver's side should be a piece of cake.A lot of work to threw that getrag in the trash.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfury
A different adapter plate with the starter on the driver's side should not be a big issue(I hope).Creating an auxiliary overdrive gearbox will be quite the battle.Has and one heard of running a divorced 205 backwards? Lifting the cab fro clearance.I was hoping to raise the tranny tunnel to clear the transmission.Yea,a starter on the driver's side should be a piece of cake.A lot of work to threw that getrag in the trash.
this is my 1st post. are you using the sae #2 flywheel housing? thats what i'm using for my rtoo 9513 eaton fuller. i'm using a divorced 205 in the normal way but i did some research before i found a double overdrive (.62:1) tranny and there was a guy that took a np203 reduction box and had a custom doubler made to mount it to the 205 backwards as an over drive. this gave him a about a .5:1 overdrive for normal driving as he had portal axles and low gearing. he had to do internal mods because of the reverse thrust loads. there's also some info on reversing an np205 like your talking about on pirate 4x4 but there's still the reverse thrust loads. also you wouldn't be able to use it to split the gears because of the huge ratio change. if you google "cummins sae 2" the 1st website that pops up should have info such as part numbers for converting to a eaton fuller 5 or 6 speed. it's pretty much the same for my 13 speed except i'm using the 2" input shaft. as for the clutch, i tried hydraulic, didn't work, i tried cable, didn't work, now i'm going to try a pneumatic ram and a treadle valve. in the meantime i still don't have a floor so i just step on it