1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

hot egt's

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hot egt's

hey all,

i was just wondering what some of your guys egts were and some suggestions to keep them down.

my egts without a load on are 8-900 degrees but when i go up a grade and put the throttle and 3/4 throttle the egts rise like a bad out of hell. they can hit twelve hundred easy.

when i'm pulling they are so hot well i can't hardly pull. when i mash it to the floor they hit 1400 and 1500 degrees so fast like blinking fast. i'm to scared to stay on the throttle long enough but i'm sure they hit 1600 degrees easy.

i was wondering if any one knew any suggestion that won't break the bank. i was thinking about getting the 60mm inducer upgrade but that prolly won't do that much but a 100 degrees or so.

thanks
Garrett

Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Cummins says you can run 1200 or 1250 sustained. You can go over that for a few seconds but not long before things start to melt. Sounds like it might be time to upgrade the turbo or turn the fuel down a little which is a dirty word on this site

Old 08-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

well i'll have to try both of those and then even upgrade to some cooler tubz of tims

thanks for the advice

Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Diesel Bomber

No problem theres guys here that know alot more than me that might have some other tricks. I dont have the money to experiment right now like alot of them but Im sure someone else will offer somethin soon

Old 08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yea thats also what i'm worried anout

BREAKING BANK

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i just can't pull very much very far either

Last edited by DieselPerformanceGuy; 08-05-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

i saw on a post a guy had i guess you could call it a boost blanket on the exhaust housing, and on the manifold... it'll drastically cut down on underhood heat and should decrease intake air temps at the same time.it'll probably cost a pretty penny; but it wont hit the bank like a turbo upgrade.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Diesel Bomber

What is that gonna do to the heat of the turbine though I wonder. Seems like it would have a hard time coolin off wrapped in insulation

http://www.manictechracing.com/bolotubl.html

Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thats what i thought also i almost have too much boost for my stock turbo so i really have to watch how i spend y money and i might get a whole new turbo

Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

well; heat is energy... the more heat you keep in the exhaust the more energy is utilized. altho probably not enough is gained to notice but shielding the compressor housing from the radiant heat being produced should lower the charge temperature. i'm only speaking on theory and the assumption they gotta make it and run it for some reason

Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
well; heat is energy... the more heat you keep in the exhaust the more energy is utilized. altho probably not enough is gained to notice but shielding the compressor housing from the radiant heat being produced should lower the charge temperature. i'm only speaking on theory and the assumption they gotta make it and run it for some reason
I see your point but i wonder if it results in a hotter turbine at the same time along with longer cool down times before you shut the truck down? Just a thought, I'd like to talk to somebody runnin one to see what they say.

Quick Reply: hot egt's