1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Opinion time

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion time

I recently installed a 91 non IC cummins into my wheelin truck.
why?, because its unique, different and i picked it up for $800 w/ 80k on it.

Starting with the base rig

1993 Ford F-250, 15" of lift with 44's. Dana 60's with stock gears.
Completely stock 6bt with intentions of putting a 4500 behind it and a divorced 205.
The engine is in the truck and i have not located a trans yet.

Anyway, per my application i am looking for opinions on setting the engine up.

My intentions:
1.Bigger injectors, suggest a brand? possibly a size.
2.turbo, i plan on making this an intercooled engine. What turbo do you think?
3.Pump mods, fuel pin, gov spring, what do you think
4.Water injection? or is this too far, i wanna keep egt's down when horsing it in the mud. can you recommend a kit of should i put one together.
5. do i need head studs and o-rings?what will the stocker handle
6.P-pump it?is it worth it? what kind of power can i make on the rotary?

im sure you guys go through this all the time but im looking for application specific, quick spool up, and good power to keep the 44's turning and keep the engine from melting down
i don't know what the practical and reliable limits of these engines are so any input would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.Bigger injectors, suggest a brand? possibly a size.
being that its a wheeling truck if its non intercooled then it has 9mm injectors. they can make up to 350 horse ive been told. and thats what im shooting for in my truck. they are plenty of big to support good power

2.turbo, i plan on making this an intercooled engine. What turbo do you think?
as far as turbo if it has a baby H1c a hx35 would be a good start and later putting a 60mm compressor on it would be a good idea to flow more air. if its the intercooled h1c spend the bread and slam an hx40 on it.

3.Pump mods, fuel pin, gov spring, what do you think
3200 gov sping is what i would say is a MUST. turns your truck from night to day. grind your fuel pin, you can get more out of it depending on the angle and depth and its free. as far as tweaking it really depends on what you are doing with the truck, more tweakin generally means higher egt's

4.Water injection? or is this too far, i wanna keep egt's down when horsing it in the mud. can you recommend a kit of should i put one together.
if you intercool it and put a nice big turbo on and keep the tweaks and such minimal you should keep you egt;s under control. you dont have to intercool it to keep them down there are other ways to do it.

5. do i need head studs and o-rings?what will the stocker handle
only really for high boost applications, if you dont plan on boosting over 30-35psi i wouldnt worry about any of that. but if u jave a non IC truck and you do have 9mm injectors they are prone to cracking from the injector bore to the valve seat. if this does happen do yourself a favor, get a 7mm injector head new and send it right out for o rings, its just something you wont have to worry about in the future.

6.P-pump it?is it worth it? what kind of power can i make on the rotary?
p pumping is ALOT of work. you pretty much have to put a whole p pump rotating assembly, pump front timing case, cover, pump itself, injector lines...etc you can make awesome power but for the money you would spend take out you VE motor and buy a p pump motor. as far as power out of the VE theres guys makin over 500 with them its just how much you wanna spend and what you intentions are

hope this helps

Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by 93FT6bt
I recently installed a 91 non IC cummins into my wheelin truck.
why?, because its unique, different and i picked it up for $800 w/ 80k on it.

Starting with the base rig

1993 Ford F-250, 15" of lift with 44's. Dana 60's with stock gears.
Completely stock 6bt with intentions of putting a 4500 behind it and a divorced 205.
The engine is in the truck and i have not located a trans yet.

Anyway, per my application i am looking for opinions on setting the engine up.

My intentions:
1.Bigger injectors, suggest a brand? possibly a size. - All kinda depends, your stockers will give some good power, I feel 400hp can be reached in a really well tuned truck. Other then that some 435's can make a very good running set-up

2.turbo, i plan on making this an intercooled engine. What turbo do you think? - Depending on you power goals, a GDS 60mm upgrade and a 14cm housing is a good start for a mild build, If you want some thing with some umph... Get a S300, The HX40's have weak shafts and dont like to be barked, being an off-road rig I'm sure you will be on and off the throttle pretty quickly. I would stick with something quick spooling for off road.

3.Pump mods, fuel pin, gov spring, what do you think - 3200 sping, DennyT Stage II, Remove high idle screw, a turn or two on the full power screw.

4.Water injection? or is this too far, i wanna keep egt's down when horsing it in the mud. can you recommend a kit of should i put one together. - I do not believe in putting water into a running engine. ALOT of people do though. This one is on you.

5. do i need head studs and o-rings?what will the stocker handle - I got a very abusive 57psi out of mine, lasted a couple months.
6.P-pump it?is it worth it? what kind of power can i make on the rotary? - You can make more then you need with teh VE.
im sure you guys go through this all the time but im looking for application specific, quick spool up, and good power to keep the 44's turning and keep the engine from melting down
i don't know what the practical and reliable limits of these engines are so any input would be appreciated.
My opinion is in red!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

propane is a good source of power, and wont hurt your truck.

you can get close to 100 HP gains with just propane, as soon as I get my dyno running I will show with propane and without.
PROBABLY BE IN A MONTH OR SO,

Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 AM
BOMBARDIER

Propane is for BBQ's

Higher modded trucks don't gain nearly as much. When using propane you have to worry about detonation and increased timing due to a fuel being drawn into the engine vs injected. This plays HELL on your headgasket. Also sucks for towing it will raise you EGT's to a point higher then just fuel would at teh same power level. Also I jhave heard of more then a couple regulators going south... BOOM! And teh fuel gains you see are not worth teh price of propane you put into the engine.

Bottom line is propane is VERY hard on all engine parts. And does not make enough power to be worth the added cost and abuse. How many top performers you seen running propane... none...

Last edited by RSWORDS; 05-27-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

if the engine is timed correctly with the injection of the propane, and the injection pump is timed with the engine, then i think it is worth it.

yes it is a pain in the a$$ to get everything correct, but once you do, well I'm impressed with it.

as soon as i can get a dyno up, I will show engine temp, egt, intake temp, HP, torque, and boost, with and without the propane.

my buddy has a engine stand dyno, i think we can have readings in or around a month's time.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:36 PM
BOMBARDIER

The problem isi that under the extreme heat of high performance/load the propane (which is drawn in through the intake charge) will start igniting before the injectors even fire off.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Pre intercooler your compressed air will not be above 500 degrees. Propane does not ignite until 1400 degrees. Your propane will then not preignite in the cylinder of the engine until AFTER the diesel is introduced by the injector. Yes propane raises cylinder pressure - so does more fuel and that is what propane is - more fuel. It does cause turbulance in the cylinder - very good thing - and helps to burn the diesel more efficiently. My propane kit raised my egt's only 40 degrees and that is wide open running the quarter mile. My performance box will handle that much temperature change easily.