1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

So, my neighbor has this 89.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default So, my neighbor has this 89.......

I gave him a list of goodies he can get to wake it up. I did the fuel screw for him and he loves it. I didnt do any other adjusting yet, as the truck has no gauges & stock everything else. The list I gave him included gauges, a low stall converter & shift kit(727), gov spring, 4" exhaust, hi flow intake, and a 16cm exh housing. Options listed were the ol' smokey fuel pin, injectors, intercooler swap, and turbo upgrade. Will the old 727 live with the first part of the list with just a TC & shift kit?

Old 03-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is in decent shape it should. The 727 is a good tranny. It's the OD units that were added that usually give trouble. (as well as the converters!) I'm in the 400 HP range and the tranny has lasted about 3 years or so after I had it rebuilt and beefed up a little.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

How did you beef it up?

I would like to know what the common internal modifications for them are, I have the torque converter on the way and am trying to make up my mind for the valve body... I figure I'll run it that way until the inside breaks, then build it stronger...