1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

1st Gen low or no buck upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1st Gen low or no buck upgrades

I've been looking around for a one stop post or link but haven't found it. Can anybody link me to info on low or no cost upgrades to the 1st gen? I want to start messing around with my 92 I just bought, been looking at posts about the fuel pin & turning up the fuel screw but I don't know much about it. Somebody's got to have a post out there that lists stuff you can do. I know the obvious stuff like intake & exhaust. All I want to do with the truck is mildly bump it up a little & drive it back & forth to work; won't be building a puller or anything like that. Probably won't be putting in bigger injectors but have been looking at putting on a 2nd gen turbo.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you do any fueling upgrades, you need gauges. Is the truck a 5spd or auto?

I wouldn't suggest putting an HX35 on your truck (unless you get if for free) because the stock H1C should have a 54mm comp. wheel and the HX35 has a 58mm comp. wheel, so it isn't much of an upgrade.

I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Another thing you might want to add to your list is the $18 366 spring. It will let the pump fuel all the way to 3200 RPM and I have heard of people almost reaching 4K with the spring. Its a real good upgrade for a 1st Gen.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Check this out

Turning up the pre 94 Ram diesel injector pump

The HX35 would be an okay upgrade, the turbo is a little better design then the old H1C and it has ALOT better exhaust housing.

The following users liked this post:
MegaMan (04-21-2009)
Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by RSWORDS
Check this out

The HX35 would be an okay upgrade, the turbo is a little better design then the old H1C and it has ALOT better exhaust housing.
DONT DO THE FULL POVER SCREW UNTIL YOU HAVE GAUGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 PM
BOMBARDIER

A turn or two on the full pwer screw w/o gauges will be fine as long as you dont tow heavy.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Check this out

I would personally spend the money towards a better turbo than an HX35, but if he plans on doing very mioner mods, than he could probably get away with it. Also, I just saw he has a 5spd truck, so the 12cm housing would be a whole lot better than that 21cm housing.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the great response guys. Excellent link on turning up the pump, that's exactly what I was looking for. I understand what you're saying about the turbo swap, not much of an upgrade. I was considering the MX35 because I can get one for under $100 & I read an article about it in Diesel Power Mag so I was just wondering what y'all thought.
I definitely understand about gauges; I have them on my 3rd gen.
I don't get what you're saying about the 12cm housing vs 21cm housing; is that the exhaust housing?
Yes, it is a 5 sp. truck and will have only minor mods.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by '91 Cummins
I would personally spend the money towards a better turbo than an HX35, but if he plans on doing very mioner mods, than he could probably get away with it. Also, I just saw he has a 5spd truck, so the 12cm housing would be a whole lot better than that 21cm housing.
Thats why the HX35 would be a good upgrade as long as it was a good deal

Originally Posted by MegaMan
Thanks for the great response guys. Excellent link on turning up the pump, that's exactly what I was looking for. I understand what you're saying about the turbo swap, not much of an upgrade. I was considering the MX35 because I can get one for under $100 & I read an article about it in Diesel Power Mag so I was just wondering what y'all thought.
I don't get what you're saying about the 12cm housing vs 21cm housing; is that the exhaust housing?
A HX35 would be a nice upgrade for you. I would not get a marine one though, some of the have different flanges. If you look around and a patient you can find a good used HX35 take off for arounf $150-$200

MegaMan (04-22-2009)
Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

A turn or two on the full pwer screw w/o gauges will be fine as long as you dont tow heavy.
if you wanna fine my egt's went up 300* and if you do a series of things like smoke screw rotate fule pin starwheel ksb it can get hot ina hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MegaMan
Yes, the 12cm and 21cm I am talking about is the exhaust housings. The '92 stock should have a 21cm housing (some '92s got lucky and have the 18.5cm housing) and if you haven't noticed, it spools REALLY slow. The 12cm housing will spool almost instantly, and is recommended on a lightly bombed, 5spd truck. You will love it.

MegaMan (04-22-2009)

Quick Reply: 1st Gen low or no buck upgrades