1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Would like opinions on my new 12valve experiment

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like opinions on my new 12valve experiment

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. My name is rob Williams. I am the co-founder and engineer for Siegrene Energy Solutions - HHO Generators and Kits.

I am a 15 year ase master tech who specializes in high performance. I generally work with gas motors but have done my fair share of diesel upgrades for customers.

I am going to be adding hydroxy Or h2 o2 to this truck to see if any gains in mpg are achieved. I am not expecting much mpg but do expect a great drop in particulates and overall emissions.

I am open to suggestions to make better power and mpg on a 93 intercooled 12 valve with 200k. It has a getrag 5sp and is totally stock.

What i have done so far:

1 turned up the ve pump

2. ported air horn ( reduced egt 65 deg)

3. added egt guage

4. servicd rear, trans, engine

Plans in near future.

1. Take head off and extensivly port exhaust.

2. custom build intercooler and upgrade piping. ( I fabricate from griffin high flow)

3. rebuild getrag or transplant 4r100 or 4l80e in ( I hate chrysler autos and i already have the other 2 i rebuild autos)

4. Rebuild pump and get bigger injectors

Where I need the help

1. What governer spring? I want good power but dont know what the old 12v will handle.

2. What company to get the injectors from? I want good hp and about 3o-350 and 600 ftlbs. I read alot of companys screw the injectors up. I would like affordable but also efficient.

3. Any other tricks I need to know about?

Thanks alot for the help. You can follow my progress on youtube ( same user name) and I will post my progress here.

Thanks Rob

Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Check out Dynomite Diesel Injectors they also make a 3200rpm Governor Spring.

Luke

Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

New Era 370 injectors would be a good fit. The stock turbo will be the big bottleneck if you do everything listed in your post, but should be able to support over 300 HP.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Oh yea I forgot to put the turbo on the list. I have been looking at custom turbin housings and compressor wheel upgrades but am a little worried. The stock turbo feels good right now but have no clue on how long the center sections normally last. at 200k is it a safe bet to upgrade for 30 psi or just cough up 1000 for a whole turbo.

I deal with tubos alot on gas engines and 1000 dollar turbos dont last that long. i generally use turbonetics with ball bearing or ceramic bearings and they are twice as much money. Is an afermarket turbo gonna give me 200k miles trouble free service like the factory.

This isnt a drag truck just something to tow with and maximize mpg and power.

thanks for all the help

Old 01-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Turbonetics are expnesive. Check out High Tech Turbo, they have some pretty good turbo's out there. For what you're doing, it sounds like a 62/14 might be a good combo, maybe a 64/14 or even a 64/12. But it really depends how big you go with injectors, how big a governor spring you use, your fuel pin, etc, and how its gonna be used. If you're going o tow with it a lot, I'd probably go with a 62/14. It'll give you plenty of flow, and enough air to keep you cool, but if you run bigger injectors you'll want the 64mm.
Don't bother with a ball bearing turbo, sure its nice for spoolup and power, but its literally double the cost, and for what some guys pay for a BB Single, other guys can build a decent set of twins for. And IMO, the twins will always perform better.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

i have a 64/14 and i'll tell you it is a little big to tow with IMHO. i would go with a 62/12 if i could do it over again....

Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin
i have a 64/14 and i'll tell you it is a little big to tow with IMHO. i would go with a 62/12 if i could do it over again....
Yeah Ben I know how much you hate towing with that 64/14. Just go ahead and send it this way and I'll send you a stocker to put on.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the great info so far guys. And btw anyone have a line for upgrade parts for the getrag. I will eventually fo to the automatic but have to wait for funds on a computer to control it. My getrag gets hard to shift once it gets hot so I will pull it and freshen it. So many tell me to go to a 6 or nv4500 but I have done more than enough rebuilds on both. I fully understand once I get this thing screaming I will need the auto. But I am willing to baby the getrag for a while and upgrade the engine first. I will be towing alot in the future but this engine will be transplanted to my wifes suburban first. The truck was really purchased for the engine. The truck will serve its purpose for now though.

Thanks again guys. You are saving me alot of home work. Anyone needing help on a gas hot rod give me a shout.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

There is nothing wrong with teh Getrag's... They get a bad rap. Yeah in stock form they dont shift as smooth as a NV4500 but they are just as tough with a couple easy mods.

1. Overfill it by 1 to 1.5 quarts. Jack up the right side of the truck to do this.
2. Keep teh rpms above 1800 while towing. (dont use to high a gear)
3. Use amsoil manual synchromesh tranny oil, the gears will fall into place!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Diesel Fan

Rs thanks for the reply.

I was totally ready to pull the trans and re-synchro it today. when i pulled the drain plug the oil looker brand new. The only problem was it was 140w gear oil, I rebuild trans and knew this was a no-no. So i broke out the bore-scope and cheched out the internals. Absolutly beautiful for 180k. I had some gm synthetic gear oil for 5 speeds laying around so I put it in. ( basically full synthetic motor oil with additives for brass and plastic syncros) And wouldnt ya know this thing shifts better than any nv4500 i ever drove. Now I just have to add 1.5 qts over.

Btw This thing has no speedo cable. The previous owner scabbed it for a transplant project. I live in LA area and damned if I can find a replacement. Any one know of any good nos type stores for old dodge stuff.

Also update on egt. quage is pre turbo and hottest i got today up the pass was 930 f. I guess I dialed in the pump about perfect. Now its time to delete the muffler and start adding my hydroxy and cold water vapor injection.

Oh yea I am getting 17mpg city and 22 hwy empty. Is this about right? Gotta service the rear so I dont know what gears yet. its a 2wd stock dually.

This forum rocks. all the comments and help are greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Would like opinions on my new 12valve experiment