1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

91 D250 Probs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 91 D250 Probs and Questions

I just bought a 91 Cummins and it needs some work and I have some questions about that........Well I have a guy telling me its just a 3 spd Auto Tranny but I've looked and it seems to be a 4 spd according to the internet.......now for the problem.....it wont shift past 3rd.....it tops out at about 45mph with the 4.10 rear end......there is a linkage on the throttle that kinda has a sleeve so it can slide back and forth and is also hooked to the tranny....when the throttle is moved the linkage dont move....the throttle just slides in that sleeve.....im thinking that is what is making it not want to shift but I looked and didnt really seem to find a place to tighten it up.......heck idk maybe its supposed to be like that but thats why I am here .......The overdrive switch doesnt seem to work but that might be in with this linkage deal......

Another question.....I know it isnt good on it but all the guys I have talked to says that if they push the throttle down when in neutral that thiers will just govern out and just hum at that peak rpm but on mine when it gets to a certain point it coughs and spudders and blows white smoke which is the unburnt fuel......they say something may be wrong but like I said before idk.....

And last......this thing takes nearly 3 days and 4 nights to warm up ......It just seems like it wont warm up for anything......I can let it run for 45 mins and take off with about 4,000lbs behind it and it gradually warms up and once the temp gauge moves its all good....but just normal driving or getting on it a little bit wont hardly budge the gauge.....I'm thinking the thermostat might be stuck open but yet again idk......

Sorry its long.....I've been around diesels and know a little about them but this is my first to own and want it to really last and be taken care of so I want to learn as much as I can.....And be able to do it myself....I may need some in depth instructions but I'll get the hang of it soon I'd say

Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeRam2500CTD
I just bought a 91 Cummins and it needs some work and I have some questions about that........Well I have a guy telling me its just a 3 spd Auto Tranny but I've looked and it seems to be a 4 spd according to the internet.......now for the problem.....it wont shift past 3rd.....it tops out at about 45mph with the 4.10 rear end......there is a linkage on the throttle that kinda has a sleeve so it can slide back and forth and is also hooked to the tranny....when the throttle is moved the linkage dont move....the throttle just slides in that sleeve.....im thinking that is what is making it not want to shift but I looked and didnt really seem to find a place to tighten it up.......heck idk maybe its supposed to be like that but thats why I am here .......The overdrive switch doesnt seem to work but that might be in with this linkage deal......

hmmm.... yes you should have teh 518, its a 4 speed with overdrive, the 518 is out my area so past that I'll let someone else chime in

Another question.....I know it isnt good on it but all the guys I have talked to says that if they push the throttle down when in neutral that thiers will just govern out and just hum at that peak rpm but on mine when it gets to a certain point it coughs and spudders and blows white smoke which is the unburnt fuel......they say something may be wrong but like I said before idk.....

At what point is that? Got a tach? Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. Look for leaks 1st.

And last......this thing takes nearly 3 days and 4 nights to warm up ......It just seems like it wont warm up for anything......I can let it run for 45 mins and take off with about 4,000lbs behind it and it gradually warms up and once the temp gauge moves its all good....but just normal driving or getting on it a little bit wont hardly budge the gauge.....I'm thinking the thermostat might be stuck open but yet again idk......

I can let mine idle for a hour... still dont warm up till I drive it! Dont worry!

Sorry its long.....I've been around diesels and know a little about them but this is my first to own and want it to really last and be taken care of so I want to learn as much as I can.....And be able to do it myself....I may need some in depth instructions but I'll get the hang of it soon I'd say
Read the red!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Like right under the drivers door where the steel fuel line meets the rubber it leaks.....That may be what that is.....

Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM
BOMBARDIER

Like right under the drivers door where the steel fuel line meets the rubber it leaks.....That may be what that is.....
that would do it! Seeing as how that is before the lift pump I bet your sucking air.

The following users liked this post:
DodgeRam2500CTD (01-07-2009)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok....I'll work on that one tomorrow......Oh btw is there any real way to tell what has been done to this truck......smoke wise..........It def smokes alot but is slower than crap so i was wondering how i could tell what has been done to it so far.....as soon as the money comes so do the gauges

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Update......Shes dead.......Was driving down the road and pulled into the center lane to turn and shed died there......all it does is crank.....No fuel in the lift pump either......any help fast would be appreciated so I can get her back home atleast

Last edited by DodgeRam2500CTD; 01-08-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

when you go to prime the lift pump with the little handle on the side...is there any resistance at all?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Are these trucks supposed to have another pump in the tank? this one isnt working i dont seem......ill check the lift pump in a bit

Old 01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
BOMBARDIER

Are these trucks supposed to have another pump in the tank? this one isnt working i dont seem......ill check the lift pump in a bit
No pump in the tank. just the one on the drivers side the engine.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

well this truck has a fuel pump in the tank. what could i do to bypass it so i wont have to buy an expensive *** fuel pump?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok, back again......pulled motor, resealed everything on it and went through it......fuel issue is fixed.....but when i go to start it all I here is a click and a clunk coming from the starter i think......wont crank.....everything is hooked up normally......any ideas?