1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

1991 Cummins shuts off after WOT

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Cummins shuts off after WOT

So I ran into an issue and I can’t seem to find it.About two weeks ago my truck started super rough and sputtered with anymore than 10% throttle.Figured it was fuel filter,changed it and still popping.Well I took my truck to a local shop and while he was troubleshooting it he told me my ECU was smoking so I had to get it towed to another shop and $900 later I got that problem fixed.Well now I have my truck back but no popping but it starts pretty rough and will lope/surge for about 5-10 min then idles fine.Now If rev it up steady in P and let off it will cough itself down and then sputter back to life.Now if I burp it(push throttle half way and let off) the truck will choke out and I will have to start it back up.Now when I’m driving I will mash it and it sounds healthy and pulls all the way and then I let off and it will choke out and sputter and then it’ll be good but some times it’ll just shut off.????

Old 02-25-2018, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just some more info,I just went to leave to the store and truck has been siting for 4-5 hours.Started somewhat sputtered and coughed but evened out quick.Let it warm up and went to leave and it was popping couldn’t get over 10-15 MPH so just turned around.Rev it in the drive way and it was as popping and the whole truck got to shaking and was blowing whit smoke.