1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help KSB won't stop leaking fuel !

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help KSB won't stop leaking fuel !

Ive got a 1993 12v with VE Injection pump. The engine & pump were rebuilt about 4000 miles ago with lots of upgrades... Hamilton 188/220 cam, big S300 (64/72) turbo, 5 x .012" injectors, M&H timing advance spacer... which leads me to my problem.

Last week I noticed fuel dripping from my vacuum pump and traced it to the ksb housing. Fuel is leaking between the m&h timing spacer and the ksb at a rate of 1 drip every 10 seconds or so. I confirmed it was leaking from the ksb flange by watching it drip with the help of a dental mirror.

I tried removing the timing spacer but the ksb still drips at the same rate. I tried replacing the o rings even though the ones provided with the M&H timing kit seemed to still be in perfect shape. To the best of my knowledge this wasn't an issue until 2 weeks ago.. only thing I did around that time was to turn in the main fuel screw 1 turn. Turbo spooled up faster, EGTS actually went down on the highway, truck ran great! I thought all was good.

I checked the ksb housing for any obvious cracks but can't see anything. I just don't know what else could be causing this flange to leak.
The engine runs perfectly, same as it did before, just leaks fuel, What am I missing? Could the pressure regulator in the injection pump connected to the ksb be stuck open ? or clogged?

Tomorrow I plan to remove this regulator valve and the banjo bolt on the fuel return line to make sure both aren't clogged and function properly, any constructive ideas are appreciated!