1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

89 W250 vibrating noise when ideling

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 W250 vibrating noise when ideling

I just recently bought a 89 w250 cummins pretty much all stock for a steal. The truck runs and drives great with there only being 2 problems the master cylinder for the brakes ( gotta pump them) wich is no big deal. But the second problem I can't quite figure out. When the truck is mainly in drive or reverse it has a awful vibrating almost binding noise when stopped. It's much worst in reverse and when on a hill with the nose facing up. Down hill not so much. On level pavement it barley makes the noise. It goes a way with the slightest throttle it only makes the noise when stopped. When braking and turning it will also make the noise. If the truck is unlevel left to right( like the passenger door is pointed up words and driver down like on a hill parked sudeways) when out in park it makes the noise. That is the only time when in park it will make the noise. The truck has a torqueflite auto and 202k on it. It is in very nice shape for where I live in the northeast. I daily drive it and want to find out what this noise is and I appreciate all your guys help. I think it mite be a tranny mount but I don't want to start throwing money at it without others opinions who are more knowledgeable than me haha. I absolutely love these trucks this one being my second I own a 89 one ton frankinstien as I call her. She's sitting on a 79 power wagon 400 frame with two one ton spring packs. She's a project though. The one I'm driving now I think I did good on. I really do appreciate any help on what the issue could be. Clifford The Big Red Dodge
Old Blue