1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Looking at a used engine, help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a used engine, help?

I starting off a project to build a older rat rod with a 6bt in it. I've found a few engine locally however only a few you can see run. I went and looked at one this weekend and it starts right up, really responsive. However I do not know how much blow by is ok. I've been reading other forums and made a manometer test. Which only got 2-2.5" of water rise on a motor with 240K. This truck being a 93' doesn't have a tach and I wasn't pressing on the throttle pedal, the owner was. However the RPM's were up there I say at least 2,500. Something has to be leaking on the motor (valve cover, timing cover, etc) that is venting the pressure. A new engine spec at 2,600-2,800 rpm is 4.5" and I was seeing 2.5" Are you suppose to feel air coming out of the crank case vent tube at idle?

It was only after we had put some heat in the engine (from the reving during the manometer test) that white haze started to come out of the oil fill next. The manometer was still hooked up at this point so I'm thinking the restriction is what caused it. Again not sure how much blow by is ok with these engines as it would be my first diesel. It does need a new P/S pump, external seals, fuel filter seal (heat seal leaks).

I've been doing as much research as I can on these.

This truck being a 93' doesn't have a tach and I wasn't pressing on the throttle pedal, the owner was. However the RPM's were up there I say at least 2,500.

It does leak (P/S, fuel/water seperator, valve cover, etc. not a big deal)

The cap wasn't dancing, it would actually try to thread it self back on the oil fill tube.

He did send me these video before I went and looked at it, horrible quality because no internet at the shop.

video of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuUo...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't sweat the details. Running (easy starting, low smoke) and hopefully driving, is about all I consider when the price is reasonable.

If it can't be shown to me running, I only offer core value.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autohack's Wireless Diesel Tachometer Kits make installing a diesel tach on any diesel truck a breeze! Fall special - Complete wireless tach kit now available for only $79.95 through 11/30/17. Please visit autohackguys.com for more details.