1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

new to me 1st gen cummins

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 03:42 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me 1st gen cummins

I just recently traded my 1992 jeep wrangler for a 1993 suburban with a turbo diesel 6bt/47rh trans and really like it! It needs a bit of work but I think it will make a great work truck/toy-car hauler/family wagon. This is my 4th turbo diesel but first time 6bt, forgive me if I make a mistake as I am still learning
Specs:
first gen 91 5.9l 6bt engine swap
stock h1c turbo with no intercooler
stock head bolts
KDP fixed
fuel pin and boost reference spring installed in the fuel pump
3.75" exhaust, no cat or muff
stock injectors
47rh automatic transmission with TC switch and OD switch on dash
14 bolt rear axle w/ disc brake conversion
front strait axle swap to dana 44
lifted on 37 inch Humvee tires
This is how I got the vehicle, I would really like to fix it up a bit as I'm really enjoying it. I feel like it is starving for air like it should do a lot more when I floor it,maybe it needs a bigger turbo to wake up the engine because of his fuel pump mods? Current turbo spools up quick and will give me 25 lbs of boost when I hit it o the freeway 1100 degrees for egts, some black smoke.

The PO has a super b special 65mm and 5inch downpipe he would sell me and install for a grand with only 3000 miles on it. Do you think I should do that or maybe upgrade to a new hx35 turbo? I'm not trying to build a rocket but would be nice to get a bit more power out of this thing and make it happier, any suggestions welcome

Old 07-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are you in or around mendocino county Ca i swear ive seen this truck in willits a couple weeks ago. honestly a 65mm turbo is too big you wouldnt be able to get it to spool with your mods, id say look for a hx35w or you could go as far as a hx35/40 hybrid, you may want to either fab a new intake air horn or look for a new one thats 3" more air = more power and cooler egts. try and find out what fuel pin you have, also find out what other pump mods have been done like if PO has adjusted the power screw and star wheel

Last edited by MasterG73; 07-16-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by MasterG73
are you in or around mendocino county Ca i swear ive seen this truck in willits a couple weeks ago. honestly a 65mm turbo is too big you wouldnt be able to get it to spool with your mods, id say look for a hx35w or you could go as far as a hx35/40 hybrid, you may want to either fab a new intake air horn or look for a new one thats 3" more air = more power and cooler egts. try and find out what fuel pin you have, also find out what other pump mods have been done like if PO has adjusted the power screw and star wheel
No I'm up in Washington state, funny you saw one running around
I text the PO and will get back to you ASAP. I agree on the 65mm being too big for what I'm trying to do.
I see you have the hx35w, do you wish you had the 35/40 hybrid? how are you liking it? Was it a replacement for your hc1 stock turbo?

Old 07-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok MasterG73 this is what the PO just said back
"Denny t fuel pin and boost spring and the screw was adjust a little"

Old 07-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well there is more power to be made out of that pump
what this video it will give you a little insight of the pump, the hx35w is just a wastegated model which gives you the ability to adjust your boost pressure, it is a very responsive turbo you think the stock spools fast, then you will be in love with the spool time of the hx35, if you plan on doing any other fuel mods like injectors then i would go bigger than the hybrid to a 62mm or a 63mm turbo, for me i got the the 35 cause my stock one was on its way out and needed a solution fast.