1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help! rebuild ve pump and motor now no throttle reponse

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! rebuild ve pump and motor now no throttle reponse

Ive just finished a major rebuild on my 1992 intercooled 6bt. I tore the engine apart, .040" over pistons, hamilton cam, valves redone, new s300 turbo and rebuilt sealed the ve injection pump.

Ive got the engine to idle (although it doesnt start instantly as it should..maybe 3-5sec of cranking) . Once idling, if i push the pedal i get no engine reponse. Ive taken this pump apart many times, but cant seem to fix this problem.

My best guess is that the ip governer isnt allowing the control sleeve to slide or the vane pump /pressure regulator arent allowing the internal pump pressure to build properly.

It idles nicely just need some suggestion why it wont rev. Any ideas would help me out!

Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

either gov, fuel screw not in enough, or index. is wrong..

Old 07-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Default Additional info

Thanks for your help !

I am going to check a few additional issues such as Lift pump inlet pressure (it is a new carter piston lift pump from hungrydiesel.com with the modified regulator for the VE pump) .

If I crack injector lines on the cylinders; I see no change the engine's idle speed or smooth less. It seemed liked 1, 3, & 5 would cause the engine to shake noticably if the fuel line was cracked, but the other 3 didn't seem to have much of a response at all.

I am going to pull all the injectors to check the cylinder pressure. If both of these tests check out ; I pretty much know the issue is in the pump. I realize this could be an injector stuck open, but these injectors are new (5 x .012) so I really doubt I was sent 3 bad injectors from a reputable seller.

Novapat.. the fuel screw still has the lock collar on it; I haven't turned the pump up yet, but will need to in order to spool my s300 (63 / 72/ 12) turbo.

Do you think I need to turn this screw in in order to get a proper spray patter out of the the larger injectors?
I've also added a M&H Inc's M3 fuel pin and their dynamic timing kit.

I adjusted the pump's timing per the service manual instruction. Additionally I located TDC exactly before assembling the head (by measuring max piston travel) and bolted the timing pin's guide to the back on the timing while at TDC. So my timing pin should locate TDC accurately.

I know the formula (air + fuel + compression = power) and just keep testing and checking possible causes off the list.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Old 07-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

definitely turn up the pump once you figured out the issue

Old 07-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Default It runs but not with piston pump!

Well, I took a shot in the dark and installed an electric lift pump (carter 4601hp) the engine starts properly and aceelerates quickly! So i contacted hungry diesel insisting the lift pump he sold me was bad. He asked me to perform a few tests and promptly shipped a new pump (great customer service!
I installed the new piston pump and it does the same as the old piston pump. Basically 0 psi at idle not throttle response. The cam doesnt seem to actuate the piston enough to actually pump the flow.

What else could it be? I installed the .25" spacer (from hungry diesel) between the pump and the block..
could this be the problem? Any thoughts are appriciated

Old 08-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Diesel Fan

Did you ever figure out the piston pump issue?