1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Ve Fuel injector pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ve Fuel injector pump problems

Hello,

I'm new to the diesel bomber forums and I have a 1992 Dodge w250 that is my first project truck that I am trying to resurrect and restore from too many years of neglect and abuse from the 4 previous owners. Anyways the project seems too be coming along quite nicely until I started paying attention to a grinding noise coming from the front of my engine. I pulled out a mechanics stethoscope and pin pointed the sound to my injector pump timing gear. I pulled off the oil tube and saw that there were scratch marks on the back timing cover. As in this photo:

Today, I took apart my timing cover to get a closer look at what was going on. It turns out that I can move my fuel injector pump timing gear with the drive shaft of my VE injector pump fore and aft approximately 3-5mm and the fuel injection pump timing gear will clank against the back timing gear cover. I think I found what is making the awful grinding noise.

It looks like my injection pump has been replaced before. Maybe under the recall 605. so unfortunately I don't think mopar will be giving me a free injection pump Now I'm not sure what direction to go or what the best way to go about this is? Is this amount of play unusual for a VE injection pump? Do I just need to set the timing gear on a certain way? Or is this more criteria for, gulp, an expensive new injector pump which will require a bunch of special tools?? Please help I've been researching this and haven't really found anyone else having this issue. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated