1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Understanding the KSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Understanding the KSB

Working on a 5.9 removed from a Blue Bird bus. Installing in a old Dodge (Champion) motorhome. No wires on the motor. Have no idea what sensor to wire the KSB to? Also will it harm anything if it's not hooked up at all? Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You'll have to figure out which version KSB you have. One needs to be energized to advance the timing, the other cancels the timing when energized.

I believe the stock setup works with a temperature switch, but it can be placed on a toggle switch too.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:29 AM
Diesel Fan

Would it matter to leave it disconnected? This particular KSB is mounted remotely. It uses line pressure to go to a port right beside the inlet port for the fuel line. Being it is in a motorhome cold weather starts SHOULD not be a issue. I truly do not understand what the KSB is to do? Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

It is not a starting aid - merely a pollution control device to reduce unburnt fuel on cold startup. That being said, on active KSB's, they probably run energized most all the time in cold weather. The timing will help with a little better fuel economy in cold weather, but you would probably not notice it and it won't hurt anything either way.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:32 AM
Diesel Fan

Sure is a whole lot of crap over a little bit of smoke. Thank you for explaining more clearly how this works. On the next problem. Have a great weekend.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM
Diesel Wrench

Good read here...
Non i/c KSB vs. I/C KSB - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

If its the early one that needs power to keep the timing 'normal' you can take power off the fuel solenoid. Its not a good idea to run the extra advance all the time. Double check, but IIRC, warm-up and higher rpm highway use are where the extra advance helps.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by u2slow
Its not a good idea to run the extra advance all the time.
Why not? I know guys who've jumped a tooth on the timing gear to get more timing than is possible with the stock setup.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
Why not? I know guys who've jumped a tooth on the timing gear to get more timing than is possible with the stock setup.
I don't suspect its the additional timing that presents a problem - probably more to do with the mechanism and raising the pressure inside the pump. This was the thread that I thought of when I said it...

...VE44 and KSB general info... - Bombed Cummins - Modified Cummins Diesel and Cummins Swap forum

This thread talks about the rpm at which the KSB has most effect, and some dyno results...
https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-r...sb-switch.html

Last edited by u2slow; 08-01-2015 at 10:33 AM.