1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

first cummins, maintenance, and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first cummins, maintenance, and other questions

Hey guys, just bought my first diesel last night. A 1992 d350 with 147k miles for $3,100

What do yall recommend i should do to begin with as far as preventive maintenance and precautions? Where can i find cheap egt, boost and fuel pressure gauges? Anything i should look out for?

What kind of fuel additive should i use to extend the life of my ve pump? 2 stroke oil, marvel mystery oil? Or both?

Got some nit pick stuff i have to do before i turn the pump up and get a turbo back 4" exhaust, but i appreciate any feedback and reccommendations. Ill get pics up asap.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Diesel Clean for my additives, seems to work fine. Keep up on your oil changes and fuel filters of course, and flush your differentials too since the vehicle is new too you.

I run GlowShift gauges, they are okay. Easy install and cheap but I've noticed they can freak out sometimes for now reason and you have to reset them. Not a big deal, its only 2 buttons too push but it is annoying.

Congrats on your purchase btw!

Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isspro gauges are the best
i have a 90 with 300,000 and run synthetic oil from royal purple and rolay purple max-tane fuel treatment
california fuel is ulsd so you need to run some type of fuel additives

Old 06-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Preciate it guys, what trans fluid should i use? I cant find any clear answers. What can i do to prolong the life of my auto trans? It already has a cooler with a fan on it. I plan to change the fluid and filter in it asap but dont know what fluid to use.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Welcome

to DB.
Here are a couple attachments that may be helpful. A spec page and a bulletin for your truck.
glad your here.
I use autometer ultralite gauges but they are expensive the ISSPRO is the best IMO.
There are some cheaper gauges if your on a budget the glowshift gauges comes to mind.

Dodge bulletin.pdf

capacities-specifications 1992 D350.pdf