1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

1st gen he351cw install (lots of pics!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gear 1st gen he351cw install (lots of pics!!!)

alright every one, here is that build up i promised a while ago. this turbo is great! spools fast and moves a lot of air and i have been told its super efficient even up towards 50psi (i cant say for sure though) but, for towing this has to be one of the best..... unless you have like 1,500 bucks just sitting around. of course the only way this turbo is going to be worth using on your tow rig is if the wastegate is functional

before you start you will need to soak the stud bolts on the old turbo for a few days. you will need a new undivided exhaust gasket, oil drain gasket, he351cw v band clamp, and if you have to... go ahead and get the down pipe flange for the he351 (but i have a better alternative if your handy with a welder)

so here we go, here is how i set up my he351cw with a functioning wastegate.

heres the specimen won it off of ebay for $315
[IMG][/IMG]

and heres the old lager..... after taking off the boost tubing that goes to the intercooler, and the intake tube/filter
[IMG][/IMG]

after removing the oil line from its fitting.... be sure and take the old fitting that it screws into off of the h1c, you will need it to screw into the he351..the threads are the same
[IMG][/IMG]

this is the oil return line, it also bolts right up to the turbo using the factory bolts! just be sure and buy a new gasket for it.
[IMG][/IMG]

now here it is after the old turbo came off.... be sure and soak the nuts before you start on this or you will never ever get it off without breaking something!
[IMG][/IMG]

down pipe off
[IMG][/IMG]

now, this may not be the way you do it but i took the turbo apart first, and pulled the locating pins, this allowed me to clock the cartridge to line up with the oil lines, while the turbine housing is in place.
[IMG][/IMG]

clamp the turbine housing and cartridge together and then pull it back off of the manifold, put the compressor housing back on, and hook up the wastegate

here it is all piped up, i used 3inch boots and 3inch clamps (you may want to use 2.75 to 3inch reducers on yours but mine clamped down really good using the 3inch with 3inch tail pipe material. i drilled out the top two holes on my turbo and used the factory manifold studs and nuts, put on your new gasket and get to wrenching!
[IMG][/IMG]

this is the down pipe i made, it uses the flange off of the he351 factory elbow, its cast steel and welds on really well plus it saves 50 something bucks!
[IMG][/IMG]

and heres the product, you can use the factory intake tube too! it clamps on just like it was made for it. as you can see i kept the black factory solenoid/boost sensor, it kicks off at 20psi and when you hook it up to 12volts it kicks off at 40psi
[IMG][/IMG]

like i said, spools great and didnt really take that long to rig up, plus it sounds awesome!!! love the whistle.

Last edited by dodgeramit10; 01-13-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:25 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Good work! Now I have to do mine.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks! And yea, highly recommend it!

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet! I need to find me a he351cw for cheap..

The following users liked this post:
Jake Stewart (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice White color is perfect too.. Still pretty green with with turbos and everything.. But just a question, if you really wanted to could you of done a twin turbo setup with your already existing one and that one?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yes you could legato, but I would recommend running the original turbo as the second one cause it's so slow to spool. And the he351 first cause it's so fast.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Legato
Very nice White color is perfect too.. Still pretty green with with turbos and everything.. But just a question, if you really wanted to could you of done a twin turbo setup with your already existing one and that one?
i was bored at work and i remembered that i saw someone who did it like this.... cant find the acctual picture, but this is how i would do a he351/h1c setup.

sorry if its a bit sloppy
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by dodgeramit10; 01-15-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Legato (01-14-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

To improve on that a little.... (H1C compressor may be a tad limiting). Use a HX35 with the H1C's large exhaust housing?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yea!.... i bet that would work pretty good! Cause that little compressor probably couldn't move enough air.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think would be the hardest part? finding a piping kit/finding someone for the piping? My biggest problem is I can do all this stuff but 1. Am new and don't know how just yet 2. Can't find a shop around here that doesn't want to charge an arm and a leg

Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yea, shop is not an option for the average working man..... and you aren't going to find a piping kit for that setup!.... hardest part would be the hot side exhaust elbow and the down pipe.

Quick Reply: 1st gen he351cw install (lots of pics!!!)