1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

he351cw!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question he351cw!!

okay, so i finnaly got an he351cw for my truck and i am still waiting on it to get here, so in the mean time i have been researching the best ways to set it up on my ole' 12 valve. i know how i am going to set up the intake tube and intercooler boots/tubes, and i know how i am going to do my downpipe...... however i have no idea how i am going to oil it! i have heard about clocking.... (i dont know what that is... please clarify) and i dont know if i should run the wastegate or not, or how i would go about making it work?! after the first of the year i should have everything rounded up to do it, ill try to give some pics, and a bit of a write up on how i do it (when i do it)

i would really love to see some of you guys setups and some explanations of how everything works..... thank all of you in advance for any help, and thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far with my truck! happy hollidays guys

Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramit10
okay, so i finnaly got an he351cw for my truck and i am still waiting on it to get here, so in the mean time i have been researching the best ways to set it up on my ole' 12 valve. i know how i am going to set up the intake tube and intercooler boots/tubes, and i know how i am going to do my downpipe...... however i have no idea how i am going to oil it! i have heard about clocking.... (i dont know what that is... please clarify) and i dont know if i should run the wastegate or not, or how i would go about making it work?! after the first of the year i should have everything rounded up to do it, ill try to give some pics, and a bit of a write up on how i do it (when i do it)

i would really love to see some of you guys setups and some explanations of how everything works..... thank all of you in advance for any help, and thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far with my truck! happy hollidays guys

Clocking means to turn the housings to a different orientation in relation to the center of the turbo where yhe bearings are. You line up the exaust housing to the manifold, and the center to the oil hole.

Here is how i did mine; https://www.dieselbombers.com/showthread.php?p=1035139#post1035139

IF you are towing, you need the wastegate.
This is a great turbo swap, you will love it!

Old 12-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thank you so much for the reply.... how can I make the waste gate work?

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

Old 12-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Set it up like I did in the picture.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Okay so yours is clocked right? And you used the h1c oil fittings right?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wastgate is in the exhaust housing, and the wastegate actuator is mounted on the intake housing and connects to the wastegate via a rod. So to avoid messing up that whole affair, we left the relationship between the intake and exhaust housings the same, clocking only the center section so that the oil drain lines up.

When I bought my turbo, it did not have that electric thing in it that Rednecks has, and I don't really know anything about that electric thing. So I bought a plug for that hole, the plug has a hole drilled and tapped to screw a boost elbow into. The boost elbow is basiacly a brass elbow that connects a hose to the wastegate actuator, but it has some type of adjustible regulator built into it, so you can adjust the max boost with an allen wrench.

I got the parts for that at Diesel Auto Power as such:

Order Details:

HE351 Vband Clamp for 3rd gen turbo $44.00

turbo oil return gasket 3937706 s300, HX35, and HX40 $4.75

HE351 T3 turbo/manifold gasket Undivided 3949530 $9.95

He351 solenoid cap tapped for boost elbow $56.00

BOOSTELBOW $19.99

Good luck, have fun! Joel

Old 12-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

You are helping so much thank you joe!..... mine has the plastic with the tube.... do I need to delete it or can I keep that and still have a waste gate?

Old 12-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I am really wondering if I can just hook up power to the boost sensor and run it like it's stock?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by dodgeramit10
I am really wondering if I can just hook up power to the boost sensor and run it like it's stock?
Or you could do things the wrong way and clip a pair of vice grips on the hose.

Quick Reply: he351cw!!