1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Finally! I have one...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cougar
I wasn't referring to narrow or wide, I was referring to offset.
spacing the tire out is the same as offset(some people do that with wheel spacers) keeping them in is the easiest on parts. His rims are narrow and in!!! no way for the rims to be harder on parts... it sounds like you may have had worn parts in your front end and blaming the rims..

The following users liked this post:
Bruceky (11-06-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Follow Up -- Rims causing damage?

My two cents.

On 4x4 models, a front-end shimmy may be caused by a worn steering stabilizer unit. This horizontally mounted shock absorber should be periodically replaced as a wear-out item. This problem appears more frequently on trucks equipped with aftermarket tires and rims of a larger than standard size.

Here is some additional information from Dodge to consider when looking at potential front-end damage. This is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that may be helpful.

TSB# MODELS SUBJECT/DESCRIPTION

02-06-96 ‘94-’97 (BR) Track bar ball joint diagnosis.
11/29/96 4x4 only

The bulletin refers to the ‘97 Truck Service Manual and is a supplement to help the technician troubleshoot loose or worn steering components. The track bar ball joint previously did not have an inspection procedure.
--------------

19-05-96 ‘94-’96 (BR) Shimmy after striking a bump or pothole.
8/30/96 4x4 trucks with sales codes Z8A and Z8B

This bulletin supersedes TSB 19-04-95 (5/12/95). The bulletin discusses a sustaining vibration (shimmy) felt in the front end of the vehicle after striking a bump or pothole.

The repair procedure involves replacing the steering damper, replacing the track bar (if necessary) and the addition of an auxiliary steering damper.

The following users liked this post:
novapat (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrconsultid
My two cents.

On 4x4 models, a front-end shimmy may be caused by a worn steering stabilizer unit. This horizontally mounted shock absorber should be periodically replaced as a wear-out item. This problem appears more frequently on trucks equipped with aftermarket tires and rims of a larger than standard size.

Here is some additional information from Dodge to consider when looking at potential front-end damage. This is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that may be helpful.

02-06-96 ‘94-’97 (BR) Track bar ball joint diagnosis.
11/29/96 4x4 only

The bulletin refers to the ‘97 Truck Service Manual and is a supplement to help the technician troubleshoot loose or worn steering components. The track bar ball joint previously did not have an inspection procedure.
--------------

19-05-96 ‘94-’96 (BR) Shimmy after striking a bump or pothole.
8/30/96 4x4 trucks with sales codes Z8A and Z8B

This bulletin supersedes TSB 19-04-95 (5/12/95). The bulletin discusses a sustaining vibration (shimmy) felt in the front end of the vehicle after striking a bump or pothole.

The repair procedure involves replacing the steering damper, replacing the track bar (if necessary) and the addition of an auxiliary steering damper.
I run 2 stabiliers

Old 11-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one sweet ride. Very straight body, nice interior, good trim. Paint is faded but it's original. I take it you paid more than $4000? It looks like a truck that would go for a few grand more. Your truck has nice cosmetics which to me is important in these trucks. Anything mechanical can be fixed/replaced a lot easier than a bent/rusted body, molding, etc. Welcome to the 1st Gen club! I've been daily driving one for about 6 months now, and if something ever happens to this one, I'm getting another. Not a 1994+, a 1st Gen. I like the 1st Gen simply because of the access to the engine compared to latter years, making it easier to work on. Plus it has the "antique" look going for it compared to latter years, that are just "outdated."

Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only thing I see wrong with the rims is the custom chrome job

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

other than that it's a beauty I know how excited u must be i finally got my dream truck the other day

Last edited by Gotta<3a12valve; 11-09-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Call me picky but the left front is different from the others, may still have the same offset but it is different.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metriccar
I take it you paid more than $4000? It looks like a truck that would go for a few grand more.
$7600 I traded a little two door car for it at a dealer. I was amazed that dealer even had one. Had to drive 400 miles for it but it was worth it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Gotta<3a12valve
the only thing I see wrong with the rims is the custom chrome job
I know! Not sure what the dealership was thinking. They said they did that.

Originally Posted by blackduck
Call me picky but the left front is different from the others, may still have the same offset but it is different.
You're right. It is different. But same spacing and size.

Wheels and tires are on the list of to do's!

Last edited by Bruceky; 11-10-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I would re-check your wheels... looks like you have a Ford wheel on the front right, and a 94+ Dodge wheel on the front left. Left rear looks correct for the truck. Can't see enough of the right rear to tell.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right rear is the same. seems like the wheels are the same, spacing and everything is any way. Is there enough difference to cause problems? Wheels aren't in the immediate budget but will come soon.

Also---- Look what came in today!
Name:  IMG_6598.jpeg
Views: 82
Size:  117.9 KB

I know these miles are second hand but I'm looking forward to putting a few more of these on!

Last edited by Bruceky; 11-10-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool tags

Fyi, ford wheels come either 6" or 7" wide. Those Dodge steelies are 6.5" wide, but backspace differs first to 2nd gen. I would at least shuffle them around so you have two of the same up front

Quick Reply: Finally! I have one...