1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Finally! I have one...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, good to know those rims are fine. I was confused on that one
First little project already underway.
Rear hub seal on my passenger side seems to have gone out, or bearing.

Fun fact- I forgot how cheap working on old trucks can be. I cringed when I saw the diff fluid on the ground since I am so used to newer vehicles and the minimum for ANYTHING being over 500$. Did a quick search and the prices for parts on these trucks are amazing. LOVING this truck more and more.
I also found a helpful video to go over before I tore into the rear end. I am a newbie but mechanical and can learn how to do almost anything if I have a video.

Thanks again!
Love this truck!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruceky
Thanks guys, good to know those rims are fine. I was confused on that one
First little project already underway.
Rear hub seal on my passenger side seems to have gone out, or bearing.

Fun fact- I forgot how cheap working on old trucks can be. I cringed when I saw the diff fluid on the ground since I am so used to newer vehicles and the minimum for ANYTHING being over 500$. Did a quick search and the prices for parts on these trucks are amazing. LOVING this truck more and more.
I also found a helpful video to go over before I tore into the rear end. I am a newbie but mechanical and can learn how to do almost anything if I have a video. changing dodge 350 brake drums - YouTube

Thanks again!
Love this truck!
see the rims caused the seal leak... better get new ones before they break something else!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Diesel Fan

Haha, I sure hope not!!!

Last edited by Bruceky; 11-04-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Sure did damage to my 92 that cost me a bunch to fix. King pins, bearings, rod ends, seals. Stuff you'd think,eh normal wear gets accelerated by changing the loading on these components.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Diesel Fan

Why are these rims bad? Maybe I'm missing something.
These are the rims that were on it. I don't know what I'm looking for I guess when it comes to telling of the rims will work? Are these the same rims you had that dis damage?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cougar
Sure did damage to my 92 that cost me a bunch to fix. King pins, bearings, rod ends, seals. Stuff you'd think,eh normal wear gets accelerated by changing the loading on these components.
sorry to break this to you but I have been doing axels and susp. for 26 years and the wider rims, and or tires, wheel spacers and rims that put the tire out will wear bearings, ball joints and tie rod ends more.. not the narrow rims.. also the universal rim bolt pattern will make a tire/wheel off center and will wear parts. The stock narrow rim that centers on the hub or axel center flange is the strongest and most precise you can get.. to bad I couldn't put my wide 35s on a rim like his or I would..

The following users liked this post:
Bruceky (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Good news. Dealer is going to pay for the leaking hub. They "fixed" it before selling it to me I guess. Owell. The name of the game with a 20 year old truck

Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Update. The leaking hub seal no the passenger side was the dealers fault. They tried to fix it and by doing so they used a wire wheel to try to smooth out the surface… so now it has to be sleeved. They are paying for the work to be done to the passenger side.
BUT.. the driver side one leaks too. Just barely, but they didn't work on it so that ones on me. I am going to get the parts myself and do the work.
How dangerous is it to use the truck while there is a leaking hub? Bare in mind that it leaks just enough to be damp… no drips yet. Will I be safe to use it just around town here until I get the parts? Of course I'll be watching it like a hawk.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by novapat
sorry to break this to you but I have been doing axels and susp. for 26 years and the wider rims, and or tires, wheel spacers and rims that put the tire out will wear bearings, ball joints and tie rod ends more.. not the narrow rims.. also the universal rim bolt pattern will make a tire/wheel off center and will wear parts. The stock narrow rim that centers on the hub or axel center flange is the strongest and most precise you can get.. to bad I couldn't put my wide 35s on a rim like his or I would..
I wasn't referring to narrow or wide, I was referring to offset.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Diesel Fan

Offset? I'm confused. All four are identical. Please describe why you think these rims are bad exactly. I'm going with novapat, I don't see how these are offset or bad in any way. Maybe wrong though. Please clarify.

Quick Reply: Finally! I have one...