1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

voltage not being regulated and overdrive not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage not being regulated and overdrive not working

hi every one i got some electrical issues with my truck that im having a hard time trying to figure out the truck is a 93 dodge w250 with the 12 valve.when i start the truck in the morning the wait to start light most times wont come on till after i start the truck and i can tell the intake heater is not turning on at anytime and it seems like the voltage is not being regulated, the altanator is not charging the batterys back up and the voltmeter indicates its not charging and my over drive is not working when the truck is not charging.but if i let the truck run for awhile the altanator will suddenly kick on and everything starts working properly.just before everything starts working the wait to start light starts flickering and the the water in fuel light starts doing the same thing then the check engine light starts flickering and they all flicker for a minute or two then everything turns on and starts working.if i had more of a better understanding of electricity this wouldnt be such a big problem for me any help would be awesome thanks everone for your time.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i forgot to mention the relay closest to the battery clicks like crazy when the warning lights are flickering?

Last edited by ramcharger kevin; 10-27-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-28-2013, 04:05 PM

My D350 had similar problems, Alternator and battery were good but alternator wouldnt charge the battery. Wait to start and water in fuel lights were out of wack and what not. Ended up being my PCM. Cost me about $280 bucks and i had to get it from Dodge.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:25 PM

yeah i kinda figured thats what it might be. ive been checking relays and such and finding out they seem to be working but not receiving a signal to turn on.how do you confirm its the pcm?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

I believe, the first gen cummins. Dodge thought it was a great IDEA to put the voltage regulator into the PCM... Rather than just leave it inside the alternator.... So first off ID charge your bat to 12.2-12.5 volts and then start the truck and check the field wire which should be a lil red wire on the back of the ALT and see if it is charging... to 14V.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM

Im no Mechanic. But ive been through just about every thread on this website. The great members of this website have become my mechanics, and that is how i figured it was my PCM. There are actually a few more threads with this similar problem. Ive actually solved many problems from looking through here. Good Luck !

Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM

on the back of my altanator there isnt a red wire its kinda like a plug with two prongs, i guess just probe one of the prongs and see what happens . thanks

Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

From the description you have several issues. They all may be related.
If you don't have the wiring diagrams, get them. Otherwise you will be throwing parts at it unit you find the problem.
Bad grounds and connectors are a common problem with aging vehicles. That may be the only problem.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ramcharger kevin
on the back of my altanator there isnt a red wire its kinda like a plug with two prongs, i guess just probe one of the prongs and see what happens . thanks
Duh, sorry just ground to a bolt and pull the plug off and touch the prongs on the alternator and see what its reading for voltage... If you got good voltage their then your problem is elsewhere, also make sure you battery is good.