1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

What is this ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:23 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this ??

The project is a '90 6BT removed from a bus,installing in a motorhome. Upgrading the fuel system to 1/2 inch lines. Attaching to the VE pump right beside the fuel inlet,on the block side of the pump, is a second fuel line. This line comes from the outlet side of the filter housing (via the intake manifold). It appears to be some kind of a soleniod which it does have an electrical connections on it. Can this be eleminated(sp) so I do not have to splice into the fuel line?? This valve or what ever is mount to the side of the intake with one of the intkae bolts but there is no connections as far as ports to sense anything via the intake. Installing aftermarket fuel filter and electric pump wanting to keep it as simple as possible. I have no idea what it does. It would make things a little simplier to leave it out of the mix. Thanks in advance for all the help and knowledge from this forum. Scott

Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if 1st gen are in the same spot, but sounds like your talking about the ignition shutoff solenoid to the pump

Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Diesel Fan

The soleniod is completely seperate from the pump it's self. There is a shut off on my '89 Dodge pickup. Does not look the same and the one on the pickup is mounted directly on the VE pump.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

A picture would help.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pictures would be a great help

Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Sorry not that good on a computer as far as posting a pic. After reading the replies went and took another look at the pump.This remote soleniod replaces the one located on the lower out side of the VE pump and is plumped into the same port, right beside the inlet port.Will try to find someone to help get a pic on here.Thanks

Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

The solenoid located on the lower outside of the pump is the KSB (or cold start) solenoid. It increases internal case pressure to advance timing.

If you click on go advanced and scroll down you will see manage attachments. That is 1 place you can post pictures.
The other is from a web site like photobucket. You download photos there and then copy the link to the thread.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Diesel Fan

Would there be any harm in eliminating the KSB? To me,it seemed strange to find one remotely located. Thank you for the help.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

It may already have been eliminated by someone trying to force a timing advance by applying external fuel pressure. You got to get us some pictures. The KSB is important for cold starts. Mine won't start in the winter without it.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Diesel Fan

KSB.Could it be manually operated?? My diesel Rabbit pickup has a cold start cable and it's a VE pump.Really trying a avoid any more connections or fittings on the fuel system.Trying to get someone to stop by and help get some pic's on the internet for me. Thanks