1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

MPG to be expected with a 47rh

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MPG to be expected with a 47rh

I have a 92 with a fresh overhauled 46rh and new stock replacement converter. Stock injectors, and a K&N. I have 3.55 gears and 35's. If I were to go to a lockup trans what kind of mileage should I expect? I range from 15.5 to 17 now. I know this ole girls got more left in her. Was wondering what others have got from the swap. Eventually I'm gonna do some 40 hp sticks, fuel pin, 4" diamond eye exhaust and dynamic timing advance. What do ya'll think?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I gained 1 mpg with a tight, low stall converter on my 92. Was 16-18, now 17-19. With a lockup, you may gain another 1 mpg. When I did the checks my truck was stock except for the turned fuel pin. The M2 fuel pin and the hybrid turbo didn't change my mileage.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I was wanting to do the swap but I'm thinking a good non lockup converter would be be a much better solution, but I'm not sure if 1 mpg it worth it though. I was going to use the TS performance converter lock up module to control lockup. Apparently they do not make it anymore and wouldn't work because I don't have an RE trans... I I love everything about the first gens, but I want lockup!!!

Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I was going to do the 47RH conversion, but I kept hearing the lockup wasn't that strong so I built up my A518 instead. So far, I've been happy with that decision. My plan to control the lockup was fairly simple. A time delay ON relay hooked to the OD circuit with a manual over ride switch and a boost pressure switch that would also over ride the lockup above what ever pressure I set it for. So, shortly after OD kicks in lockup occurs. If you go over your set boost, the TC unlocks for power then re-locks when you drop back below. If you don't want lockup, flip the over ride switch and turn it off.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Damn, I never thought of that, like and adjustable ac switch? Wouldn't be hard to do as my h1c doesn't put out much! Haha

Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

That should work, it just needs to be rated for at least 2X your max boost. There are adjustable pressure switches used in NOS setups as well.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Dumb question, why are you and I the only ones on this thread? Normally you get more than enough opinions.... As for the one to two mpg gain, that would be say 20 mpg no matter what as compared to anything from 14-18 depending on how fast you drive, temp and if there is any wind.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

As for the slow 1st gen traffic on this site, it suits me fine. I got tired of dealing with the trolls, pushy sales men, and people that don't want a truck on the other sites. I'd rather deal one on one with peoples experience with something good or bad.
Driving habits is the biggest factor in MPG over how your truck is set up. Tire size and tread pattern, type of oils used, wind drag items are other things that can work for or against you. It took a lot of experimentation and money to finally break that 18-21 my 91.5 had for ever. I haven't had much time to work on the mpg part of my 92 because I'm always fixing what keep breaking
If your after good fuel mileage and decent power, don't push the horse power and the bling associated with them. That is your biggest fuel (and money) waster because you can't control temptation.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cougar
If your after good fuel mileage and decent power, don't push the horse power and the bling associated with them. That is your biggest fuel (and money) waster because you can't control temptation.
No better words spoken!
So many times you see vendors pushing their "seat of the pants" impressions and opinions on the unsuspecting.
The very best thing you can do is read, read, read and look at other people's signatures for combinations that WORK.

Always keep in mind that generally there is a small amount of turbo lag on a street set-up, especially if the turbo is a bit big and your sticks not quite matched to it.
Timing can play a significant role in how the 'charger spools and so many times I see people bumping the timing up (advancing), which can hurt low RPM spooling.

After years of watching and reading, I have come to the conclusion that if you do NOTHING ELSE to a stock 1stgen truck, you should at least put an HX35 turbo and a good exhaust on it, along with boost and pyrometer gauges.

Mark.