1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Think I broke my clutch..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Think I broke my clutch..

My stupid *** was doing a powerbrake in fifth gear and all of the sudden there was a bang and and my clutch went real soft and I couldn't shift into any gear. I went underneath and looked and there was steam (or smoke) and i smelt burnt rubber and there was black stuff dripping from where the engine and transmission connected. What exactly did I break? Hopefully it's just the clutch not the whole damn transmission.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I had my clutch bypassed so if I started it in a gear my truck would move as I started it. It doesn't do that anymore. While it idles, I can shift into gears like I would if it was off. My drivetrain doesn't move an inch anymore. All my truck does is start and idle.

Last edited by Dieselhorse5; 06-07-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well you blew the hub out of the clutch or broke the input shaft. Now when you start it the engine and transmission are no longer connected, thus no movement. How much of the black stuff( liquid I imagine) came out? I'd say the black stuff is engine oil if you took out the rear main seal. Or gear oil from the transmission depending what you did to the shaft or the case. Third option is the fluid from the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder, but unlikely, as it would have had to got real nasty in there for that to happen.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Just a couple drops came out. Not much. Is it repairable? Or do I need to buy a new clutch?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure what the deal is then. Whatever broke is broke. Clutches aren't repairable as far as I know. I think an input shaft would be cheaper than a clutch. Do you have an upgraded clutch like the 1& 3/8" hub or anything?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok. No, I believe it's a stock clutch.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

And if your broke your input shaft I cant imagine what else may be busted too. So you are going to need a new clutch, remachine the flywheel if you did not strees it and break or shear any bolts to the crank.. If your rearmain is leaking now so might as well replace it too. Dont use a hammer to put it in either find a big enough socket or find a seal driver or you will just ruin it.
The clutch fluid can turn black faily easy because the bell housing is full of clutch dust. But you can smell it and be able to tell if its engine oil or brake fluid.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

I'd imagine the rear seal in the engine is probably OK. It can cause enough deflection to make a little leak temporarily when something like that happens under load.

Just run it and have a look after you get it apart. Maybe you'll get lucky on that one at least.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

You dont know whats busted till you get it all apart. But I can tell you its not just a clutch. Sorry you gotta pay to play. But if you go to as far as pulling the flywheel off just replace the rear main your in that far anyways.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Diesel Fan

Alright. Yeah I'll pull it apart and take a look. I'll hope for the best.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 143 Likes on 125 Posts

Ain't much to hope for bud you did a power brake in fifth gear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quick Reply: Think I broke my clutch..