1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Change out distribution block after disc brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Change out distribution block after disc brake conversion

Distribution Block - Adjustable - Black

Is this adjustable distribution block what I need to change my original from front disc/ rear drum to work with my new front and rear disc for better performance? I am having problems with my front rotors warping and the rear pistons seizing or hangin up I imagine from not moving much. The pedal is decent but for having discs all around it should stop better. Also has anyone needed to use the the 2lb residual valve that holds line pressure for a better pedal? I'd like to hear others gains from changing more than just drums to discs. Thank you all.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I understand you right, you must have put a newer disc brake rear in the truck. I think your problem is the proportioning valve. The retrofit proportioning valves I have seen from Wilwood actually had a larger 1/4" line going to the rear discs, granted those were for hotrods. I think you have two options though, you could either buy an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve and dial more rear brake bias in, or try to get one of the truck that the rear came out of. In addition you could also consider going to a hydro-boost brake set up if you are trying to improve it's stopping performance.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Residual valves are for drum brakes. If you use them with disc's the pistons will not retract properly and the pads will drag on the disc's. This will cause heat and wear.
Warping can be from heat.
Not sure with these older vehicles but with newer ones the way the wheel nuts are tightened can cause disc problems