1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

1993 d350 hot shot rig?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1993 d350 hot shot rig?

Looking to get a 93 d350 dually and use it for a hot shot application. It will be pulling 40 ft goosenecks loaded to the max. What I want to know is what upgrades would make this a reliable tow rig or would I be better off with a second generation 12valve? Any advice would be great I'm really new to this small truck stuff I drive a big rig that's why I say small truck

Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Although I have not been in Texas oilfields I have been in utah's. And the hot shot trucks all around town are mainly less then 5 years old. Mainly due to washboard roads and most locations are all on dirt . I would look at something much newer if I was you. Not sure why you have settled on a truck of that age but in my fleet I worked on most trucks only lasted 3-5 years.

So in my opinion go as new as you can afford if that is your limiting factor. Up here hot shots seem to make good money and drive brand new trucks

Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 AM

Ya the oilfield is the same here in texas. ROUGH but i hear alot of good things as far as realiability on these trucks. I know that hotshot trucks make good money but a new set up will cost an inch off my dick and my left nut. I dont like owing lots of money. Debt in my opinion is the devil and if the oilfield ever slows down id be stuck with a huge payment. Id love a new truck but to start off I'd just like something reliable. I know New means less problems but its not no problems

The following users liked this post:
MossBack (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you do do one for the Hot Shots, put in 2ndGen seats, new carpeting, have your AC working, make sure your brakes are A+, along with your trailer connector. Flatbed? Make sure your bed is attached properly. Put on new rubber, attach WestCoast Mirrors, change all your fluids and filters and go for it. Add a Qt. to the stocklevel in your trans. You'll be cool if your Getrag hangs in there.... remember, gotta spend money to make money....this tr

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

If you do do one for the Hot Shots, put in 2ndGen seats, new carpeting, have your AC working, make sure your brakes are A+, along with your trailer connector. Flatbed? Make sure your bed is attached properly. Put on new rubber, attach WestCoast Mirrors, change all your fluids and filters and go for it. Add a Qt. to the stocklevel in your trans. You'll be cool if your Getrag hangs in there.... Remember, gotta spend money to make money....this truck will get you off the ground. Just remember its 25+ years old, the motor can take it....just watch the other stuff....

Don't ya just LUV Windows 7?????? %fswo98$qXXX#!!!!!

Last edited by Screamin' Metal; 03-20-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
txnewbee (03-26-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ive thought about doing the same thing with my 350. it will be rough no matter what you do to it though. im sure you know how many hours you will spend in your truck and you will be sore if you have a 1st gen. but if you put in 2nd gen seats dyno mat the interior with new carpet and maybe put in some air bags for your suspension will help.

as far as the motor............ there is nothing better than the 12valve as far as torque and reliability. you will have no problem towing as long as you take care of your trans problem. if it has an auto you will need a new torque converter and a shift kit. the manual trans should be fine but might eat clutches if you do performance mods..........which you will.

you should search the site for info on the dowel pin of death, and pump upgrades. you will need an upgraded fuel pump if you want to go very far. get a fuel pin. air intake 4in exhaust straight do not put a muffler........... why would you want to quiet down a cummins. anyway........ then you might want to put a new turbo of your choosing.... or two turbos. choice is yours!

a 1st gen is not a bad choice and is cheaper than a new truck but you will have your work cut out for you because its not something that you can just buy and start driving. i have had mine for 2 months and have not had it on the road because i am outfitting it to be like a modern truck and giving it a fresh coat of paint. sooooo there you go

txnewbee (03-26-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txnewbee
Ya the oilfield is the same here in texas. ROUGH but i hear alot of good things as far as realiability on these trucks. I know that hotshot trucks make good money but a new set up will cost an inch off my dick and my left nut. I dont like owing lots of money. Debt in my opinion is the devil and if the oilfield ever slows down id be stuck with a huge payment. Id love a new truck but to start off I'd just like something reliable. I know New means less problems but its not no problems
Like already said but I would go through all the suspension components. Change out shocks, bushings and even consider u-joints nothing worse then breaking down in the middle of no where. Either way good luck with your business exploration it is always nice to see small business start ups. This has the opportunity to be a great path in life.

As you know the oil filed offers a very attractive life. Hard part for me was the lifestyle and living away from my family so much.

txnewbee (03-26-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Txnewbee, this isn't specifically aimed at YOU, but just a general comment to ANYONE thinking about hotshotting.

Above and beyond making sure the truck can TAKE the running around, GET DOT LEGAL before you even spin the wheel.
DOT is all over the "small" stuff as much as anything these days.

Hauling for hire requires way more than just keeping the rig up to snuff, your paper work and your supporting equipment must be right, too.

Of all the "small things" that can hobble a long hauler, the logbook will get you eventually, plus the little card that says you're medically fit to drive can put you out just as quick.

It's no longer "Buy yourself a pick-up and make some money" this day and age.

Mark.

txnewbee (03-26-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Ya i thought of doing small things like fluid change, check suspention, cold air intake, and pump upgrades. Can the pump be swapped out for the second gen pump? What is the dowel pin of death? It's a manual five speed. It's got a flat bed and gooseneck hitch and for 3200 with only a few cosmetic issues is a hell of a deal. Was also wondering about adding another battery I noticed d350 has only one and since I'm gona probably add poles and a winch I thought it would be a good idea. Not gona do any crazy mods YET don't wana mess up the transmission just want cheap and reliable for now. But if i can get some cheap hp and haul a lil *** then ill enjoy it haha

Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txnewbee
Ya i thought of doing small things like fluid change, check suspention, cold air intake, and pump upgrades. Can the pump be swapped out for the second gen pump? What is the dowel pin of death? It's a manual five speed. It's got a flat bed and gooseneck hitch and for 3200 with only a few cosmetic issues is a hell of a deal. Was also wondering about adding another battery I noticed d350 has only one and since I'm gona probably add poles and a winch I thought it would be a good idea. Not gona do any crazy mods YET don't wana mess up the transmission just want cheap and reliable for now. But if i can get some cheap hp and haul a lil *** then ill enjoy it haha
The pump swap is pretty much a bolt in with lines and pump. The KDP or killer dowel pin is a pin under the timing cover that has the ability of walking out and destroying timing. I think some job weld it in and it seems like someone makes a kit to fasten it in.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Lil' word of advice, especially if you're going into rough terrain.
DO NOT buy a standard cab 4WD, it will beat you to death and pulling trailers makes it worse.

Personally, if I had to drive a 1st gen to tow trailers, it'd be a 2WD extended cab.

The BEST all around tow rig I ever had?
1996 Dodge 3500, E/C, 5 speed, 2WD with a 1st gen (VE) 12 valve swapped in.

13 MPG was the WORST I ever saw and it pulled everything I ever wanted it to.

Mark.

BTW, properly set up, the VE is the BEST mechanical pump for heavy load-starting torque.
A P-pump is a saggy tit by comparison.

Mark.

Last edited by Mark Nixon; 03-20-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
txnewbee (03-26-2013)