1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Need input: 2nd gen body on a 1st gen frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need input: 2nd gen body on a 1st gen frame

Hi guys my family is growing and the wife really hates my 1st gen ex cab. I got to thinking I know there are tons of gas ex cab trucks and I would have to do some custom work on the mounts but how hard do you think it would be to do this? You can pick up a fairly clean 2nd gen for under 1k and I feel like they are more comfortable to sit in than the 1st gen. Buying a 2nd gen with a v 10 or a cummins is out of the question due to funds. Besides who in their right mind would give up a 150,000 mile truck for one with over 200,000 plus miles? what do you guys think?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed

Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

What would you gain by doing this, again?

Mark.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

taking a 2nd gen body off a perfectly good 2nd gen frame to try to put it on a weaker 1st gen frame?? sounds like a waste, i think you are better off trying to trade someone. I see people with 2nd gens, silverados, and fords wanting to trade for a 1st gen.

a first gen is known for its square body and simplicity not its weak unboxed frame

Last edited by peckens; 02-24-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldnt do it! but the second gen bodies are more aerodynamic! haha

Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peckens
taking a 2nd gen body off a perfectly good 2nd gen frame to try to put it on a weaker 1st gen frame?? sounds like a waste, i think you are better off trying to trade someone. I see people with 2nd gens, silverados, and fords wanting to trade for a 1st gen.

a first gen is known for its square body and simplicity not its weak unboxed frame
You aren't around many 1stgens much less 2ndgens, your blanket comments prove that.
I can't tell you how many 2nd gens I've pulled trannies from that were broken behind that "super-duper" boxed frame section, much less rusted out there, too.

How about that lower frame rail channel/lip?
Dirt and salt collector, anyone?
At least on a 1st gen the debris on the frame has a chance of getting at least washed off rolling through a puddle, or vibrated loose driving down a rough road.
On a 2nd gen, it just sits there and festers, creating zits that turn to pits that turn the frame into shti.

The Silverado and Ford boys like the 1stgen Dodge because the Silverado and Ford boys know a 1st gen is a superior truck, from it's simple durability and it's ease of maintenance standpoints.

Mark.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
You aren't around many 1stgens much less 2ndgens, your blanket comments prove that.
I can't tell you how many 2nd gens I've pulled trannies from that were broken behind that "super-duper" boxed frame section, much less rusted out there, too.

How about that lower frame rail channel/lip?
Dirt and salt collector, anyone?
At least on a 1st gen the debris on the frame has a chance of getting at least washed off rolling through a puddle, or vibrated loose driving down a rough road.
On a 2nd gen, it just sits there and festers, creating zits that turn to pits that turn the frame into shti.

The Silverado and Ford boys like the 1stgen Dodge because the Silverado and Ford boys know a 1st gen is a superior truck, from it's simple durability and it's ease of maintenance standpoints.

Mark.
I agree with what you say but I have seen several 1st gen frames crack, or bend under normal use. I have never seen a boxed frame do this under normal use.

However, I don't think I would agree with the older dodges being superior to the older chevys and fords. Yes they have their pros and cons but its like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

What do you consider "normal use"?
If you're thinking loading a 1st gen to 30k is "normal", then your reasoning is flawed.

Yes, the 1st gens do crack, usually right behind the driver's side cab, however the percentage of those doing so is much lower than 2nd gens.
I might add, I have seen 2nd gens break even on V-8 GASSER models.
For them, the boxed section is definitely a point to look at for both types of damage, rust and cracking.

Anytime you create a boxed section on an open run, there are stress points that crack, usually on welds.

As far as being "superior", it's a matter of personal preference and what you're willing to put up with, I guess.
I wouldn't get caught DEAD intentionally owning a GM or Ford for anything but re-sale or crusher weight.

I prefer my fruit Dodge flavored.

Mark.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You'd have an aerodynamic truck, with a well-appointed cab, that rides like a 1st-gen. I just can't see the advantage.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My main thought behind this was the 2nd gen cab provides a little more room and ease of access to even small an actual back seat as opposed to jump seats. I did find a seat out of a second gen but don't care for the lack of room when it is installed. Plus I am more partial to the leaf sprung front end as opposed to the coils. I know the coils make for a better ride and I owned one of these previously in a 3/4 ton gasser. I like the cab a little more and thought this might be an easy way to go. You couldn't give me a chevy and the only way a ford would be good is if it had the cummins already in it. I just am trying to figure out the best use of a young cummins engine. Thanks for all the input so far guys!!

Quick Reply: Need input: 2nd gen body on a 1st gen frame