1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Questions

I have a 1993 D350 extended cab that I have finished replacing all of the chassis, suspension, and steering components. Replaced the coils springs, control arm bushing, etc. and replaced the leaf springs minus one leaf to try and soften the ride. I'm having several issues that I'm trying to figure out now that I have a solid point to start.

1.) When I'm making a turn, the wheels end up at a very extreme angle and sometimes I hear a deep knock. I believe too much caster is the proper term. It has already been aligned etc. and when in motion making the turn, the tops of the tires will be almost be aimed at 1-2 o'clock outside the fender. Any ideas to what is going on? If this is a steering box issue or something else?

2.) What are the differences between first gen suspension and second or third gen suspensions? I drove my buddies 2001 ram 3500 dually and it rode fantastic. I've already read on how some guys call our trucks jumping rams as the smallest bump causes the truck to hop.

3.) What are other suspension mods to get the truck to ride softer? I'm 22 and never had a kidney stone, and this truck is great prevention for them.

4.) Lastly, does anyone know where to replace the strut bars? I replaced the bushings on them but the threads for the mounting nut were chewed and make me nervous.

Any help appreciated. I've been busting knuckles on this truck getting it caught up.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't actually give you any, meaning ANY , useful information, but, the 1st-gen suspensions are less sophisticated than those of Ben Hur's horse-drawn chariot. And, he never had kidney stones, either. hmmmmmm..... We were just lucky as hell when we built "Da Beast", that everything turned out good. We retained the 1/2 ton (?) rear springs and used a freshly-made pair of 3/4T springs up front. A 4x4 shop did the rear blocks and long U-bolts to level the ride. Rides almost as well as my "Tiny", allowing for the wheelbase length difference.
---added on edit--- Just noticed that you're 2-wheel-drive.... coil springs.... well, like I said, nothing useful. welcome to db anyway.

Last edited by geddy's uncle; 02-15-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the welcome.

Put the new coil springs up front, not the severe duty just regulars for the d350. The spring shop I went to had a set of 3/4 ton leaf springs but had to take my top leaf off the old ones and mount them on the new stack (larger eyelets on the 1 ton). I had them make me two sets of u-bolts, one short set for without the leaf spring assist pack and a longer set for if I need to put the leaf spring assist pack back on.

Right now I left the 4 leaf assist pack off and it rides a lot better out back. My stock set were mashed flat (previous owners...).

I'm wondering if the 3/4 tons have a lower coil spring rate on the fronts that would soften the ride . I work at O'Reillys, so I get to sit behind that counter and look up whatever comes to my mind and check compatibility. Luckily our system started giving some kind of specs...