1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

92 cummins piston lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 cummins piston lift pump

So i bought a new left pump as mine is leaking, is changing this pump fairly simple or should i be paying someone to install it? Any body have a how to video, i assume with a leaky lift pump the grid heater can malfunction? Is this also true?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Lift*

Last edited by 1stgencumminsdenis; 01-12-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

No your grids won't screw up.

Which piston lp did you get? the low pressure LP or the high pressure 2nd gen LP that needs a regulator?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Diesel Fan

Its the stock replacement pump mines leaking and getting air in the lines somehow

Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, The stock pump will last a long time, but think about this. If you loose a diaphrame in your pump, you could pump your crankcase full of diesel fuel.
Whenever I have the chance to change one out, I block the old pump hole off with a Chevy blockoff plate, then wire in a good quality electric pump hooked to a hobbs switch. I have a good quality Racor spin on filter before my fuel pump to help protect it, and it helps scrubb the already prefiltered WMO that I run in my truck.
This does 2 things, if you ever loose oil pressure, the pump turns off and stops your engine before it goes south, and it also pressurizes your system, so when you change your filter, it helps prime it. Also, if you ever run out of diesel, your motor will start quicker since its being pressure fed....

Last edited by Screamin' Metal; 01-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin' Metal
Also, The stock pump will last a long time, but think about this. If you loose a diaphrame in your pump, you could pump your crankcase full of diesel fuel.
Whenever I have the chance to change one out, I block the old pump hole off with a Chevy blockoff plate, then wire in a good quality electric pump hooked to a hobbs switch. I have a good quality Racor spin on filter before my fuel pump to help protect it, and it helps scrubb the already prefiltered WMO that I run in my truck.
This does 2 things, if you ever loose oil pressure, the pump turns off and stops your engine before it goes south, and it also pressurizes your system, so when you change your filter, it helps prime it. Also, if you ever run out of diesel, your motor will start quicker since its being pressure fed....
You just sailed something right over my head. What's a hobbs switch?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by geddy's uncle
You just sailed something right over my head. What's a hobbs switch?
A hobbs switch cuts power to the fuel pump once the engine loses oil pressure incase say your turbo feed line blows you won't ruin the engine or have a lesser chance of it.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Diesel Fan

Where wpuld i get an electric pump like that hpw much of a dent is gonna be in my wallet

Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hobbs is a particular brand, oil pressure switch in plain terms. Good switch's though

Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by blackduck
Hobbs is a particular brand, oil pressure switch in plain terms. Good switch's though
yeah I was way to tired to think lastnight,

Anyway holley black fuel pumps work good on 1st gens with a regulator.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Diesel Fan

How much do they cost

Quick Reply: 92 cummins piston lift pump