1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Feel like giving up

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feel like giving up

i hate my trucks electrical issues it is complete bs , the fuse box falls out everyday and screws a fuse up , now a wire shorted out and im going to have to find it , none of my gauges work and my ******* lights dont work unless i jump a wire over from bottom of the fuse box to another section of fuses , i am so pissed , i cant handle electrical stuff ..... also my starter doesent work i need to jump it with a screwdriver fromthe selenoid have the time , i am ready to sell my truck and get a ****** pos car

Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take heart, there are bad days then there are the good ones.
See elsewhere that zip ties may solve the problem of the fuse box dropping.The light issue sounds a bit like they are wired into the wrong part of the fuse box.
The starter could be a couple of issues, from a bad wire to a dodgy ignition switch
Do you have a wiring diagram?
If you want real P******d of try this, March 2011 pick up a brand new Holden(Chev) Cruze, 3 months later having all sorts of problems with cutting out and surging. A couple of months in the shop while they change the computer, followed by injectors and still the same. Gave the car back and got another one early 2012, guess where its been for months and with the same problems. Soon as we find something else we like this lemon is gone.
At A$33K it is a damn expensive piece of fruit. Can I relate to the P***d of feelings?????? What chance do I have of fixing it when the makers can't.
Give me and old truck any day.
Doesn't fix your problem by may lighten your feelings a bit
Cheers Steve

Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackduck
Take heart, there are bad days then there are the good ones.
See elsewhere that zip ties may solve the problem of the fuse box dropping.The light issue sounds a bit like they are wired into the wrong part of the fuse box.
The starter could be a couple of issues, from a bad wire to a dodgy ignition switch
Do you have a wiring diagram?
If you want real P******d of try this, March 2011 pick up a brand new Holden(Chev) Cruze, 3 months later having all sorts of problems with cutting out and surging. A couple of months in the shop while they change the computer, followed by injectors and still the same. Gave the car back and got another one early 2012, guess where its been for months and with the same problems. Soon as we find something else we like this lemon is gone.
At A$33K it is a damn expensive piece of fruit. Can I relate to the P***d of feelings?????? What chance do I have of fixing it when the makers can't.
Give me and old truck any day.
Doesn't fix your problem by may lighten your feelings a bit
Cheers Steve
thanks man , i gave my self a slap in the face after trouble shooting for 3 hours i found the problem with the lights , horn , dashlights , gauges , powerlocks , etc. one of my main wires overheated so many times that the fusewire just fell apart so i put a new fuse wire in and ran it straight to my battery haha , it works for now i will probly make it a bit nicer soon , and i also electrical taped my fusebox in , it works .... i am hoping to install my pyro gauge tomorrow

Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

same problem with fuse box falling, anyway of fixing that clip under the dash or any mods to keep it from falling?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdbigblue12v
same problem with fuse box falling, anyway of fixing that clip under the dash or any mods to keep it from falling?
you could drill a few screws through the piece the fuebox sits in so it has something to sit on ? , i just electrical taped it all around and it works fine so far , dont care how it looks though

Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I would check fuseable links.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These trucks can be extremely stressfull. I've put a TON of money into mine, but I can never just fix it when an upgrade is a few bucks more

edit, why when I type l o l this Hitler lookin retard pops up, WTF DB?

Last edited by GrudgeGuy; 01-10-2013 at 02:05 AM. Reason: homo texty fag thing
Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey dude, I deal with these trucks on a daily basis.There 1 thing these trucks are weak in, and that is the electrical system.

Everytime I buy one, or rework one, I take the stupid knee bolster from under the steering wheel that holds the fuse block, get a piece of plastic that will span the gap, fasten it in with 4-#8 trim screws with the black washer attached. I bolt the fuseblock down to that. Then bolt that plastic panel into place.
If theres any melted wires, there is usually 1, I drink a cupocoffee and solder in a new one.
THEN, go to O'Reillys or whereever, get a 2 universal fuse blocks, 6 fuses ea. Make yourself a standoff plate to mount them on, that has about 2 -3inches of clearance.
Drink another cup of coffee, eat a honeybun, stand on a stool, disconnect your battery, move your stool over about 2 1/2 feet and clip all those DAMN FUSIBLE LINKS!!!!!! (Mark them first!)
Mount your newly elevated fuse panel (I use 2- 6 fuse units mounted to a piece of plywood with 4 1/4 ID x 2" long nylon spacers with a 8 Gage jumper wire between them), then 1 by 1 fasten these wires to your fuse block terminals. After that run a 8 Ga or 6 ga. from your battery to your front fuse block.

These links are now replaced by fuses, and the ones that you gotta have on....I put the small circuit breakers there that will all things to turn off then turn back on once they've cooled.

Just be sure to cut the fusable links out, splice and soldier your wires, do it right. Once done correctly, you won't have all these grimlins.....

These are great trucks, but the electrical system sucks until they are redone in this fashon.... I've seen complete trucks burn all the way down because of the crappy fusable links over there on the drivers side fender!

Last edited by Screamin' Metal; 01-13-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you figure out your starter problem? my 93 just up and wont start one day. ignition turns everything on and i start it with a screw driver and it runs great. all fuses are good and i cant find where any wires are shorted.