1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Honestly dont know where to start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Honestly dont know where to start...

I have a pre I/C 91 4x4 5 speed with a lot of problems! She has just over 380k on her now and things are starting to go bad, Like all but the temp and oil gauges stopped working, grid heater is shot, power steering... well what power steering. but whats got me worried is that a did injectors, lift pump and turbo in the last 100 miles or so and when i drove it this morning it sounded like it was missing and had NO power.. no joke my mothers 1.8L in line 4 mini van would have beat me in a quarter mile! and when i got on it she would puke out a huge cloud of blue/gray smoke and the temp would go up to the second to last mark on the gauge. all my fluids are good, what could it be? Oh and the oil psi wouldn't go over the first mark. please get back to me because its the only truck i never want to die! and the 2.5 ton service truck rides like **** haha

Old 12-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I wanna say you gotta blown turbo seal or a pooched head gasket. Take off the v-band cla,p on the intercooler elbow at the turbo and the band clamp at the turbo n see if there's oil residue in the intercooler tube. Also take off your tube to the over flow tak on the rad n stick it in a clear pop bottle full of water. if you get bubbles she needs a new head gasket n for all I know it still might need one.

Just a couple things to check. What's your boost like? any gauges that way?

NVM I see you got studs so you can almost rule out head gasket with those mods. I'm gonna lean towards a blown turbo seal.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

the turbo has less then 400 miles on the rebuild. and there is no oil in the coolent or the other way round so i dont think its the head gasket. when i first start the truck fuel dumps out of the top of the pump where the throtle is conected. could my pump be about to go out? the guy i got the truck from maxed the pump out, I havnt messed with it at all but i know its not good to run those ol VEs to hard. And with the new lift pump and bigger injectos that poor thing is prolly doin all it can to keep up...

Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by 1989w250
the turbo has less then 400 miles on the rebuild. and there is no oil in the coolent or the other way round so i dont think its the head gasket. when i first start the truck fuel dumps out of the top of the pump where the throtle is conected. could my pump be about to go out? the guy i got the truck from maxed the pump out, I havnt messed with it at all but i know its not good to run those ol VEs to hard. And with the new lift pump and bigger injectos that poor thing is prolly doin all it can to keep up...
run a good dose of diesel conditioner n 2L of low carbon 2stroke oil to a tank n take her for a drive. that's a rubber o-ring under there they dry up with time. just take the pump top off n replace the o-ring if the additives won't stop the leak. did on both my ve's I had.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well now she wont start.. its getting fuel to the injectors and i have had it plugged in since 8ish this morning

Old 12-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds Like your timing slipped IMHO

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Is the wiring to your pump ok. Mine had a tendency of coming loose on the fuel shutoff solenoid and what ado your grounds look like?

Last edited by plowboy1138; 12-25-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

the wires are good. but im out of ideas. what would cause blue smoke, loss of power, high temp, and still no fuel/coolent/oil in any place it shouldnt be? and now the POS wont run at all

Old 12-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Diesel Wrench

I think shes sucking in air throught the throttle shaft o-ring. the temp could be a side effect of your wonky gauges n not be in relation to the low power or smoke at all cuz it can't be really.

slipped timing would cause it to run rough if it started at all smoke white n and be hard to start as well as probably other things. Also whats the fue like? water in it, gas in it, plugged fuel filter?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

slipped timing? please explain how that happens!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by plowboy1138
sounds Like your timing slipped IMHO
Originally Posted by novapat
slipped timing? please explain how that happens!

Quick Reply: Honestly dont know where to start...