1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

VE Pump Timing Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VE Pump Timing Issue?

I followed the instructions (video) on this forum for bumping up the timing. I got all of the bolts loose and was trying to move the Inj Pump and nothing was moving, I finally looked at the front bolt and the injector pump was already at the end of any adjustment travel and my timing marks are just lined up, maybe a hair low.

This was a replacement engine, did they not install the inj pump right possibly?

Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Take the nut right off n see if it has moremovement to go.i sounds to be installed right.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to bump it some to break it loose from the gasket on the timing cover to get it to move.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I advanced mine 1/4 inch with no real bad issues, it does not want to die sometimes, its definitely hard to kill 50% of the time. I don't mind though.

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 11-24-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Removing nut.

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke
Take the nut right off n see if it has moremovement to go.i sounds to be installed right.
I had already done that, the reason I knew it was at the end of it's travel. The timing lines are barely lined up. Can't advance at all...

Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Did you use a racheting strap?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Strap

Originally Posted by bladeyamaha
Did you use a racheting strap?
Yes I used a ratcheting strap, as stated before there is no travel left in the slot for the inj pump to advance, that seems odd or incorrect to me, can't advance the timing at all. Something has to be wrong...?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Like I stated before, I think I did, you have to knock the injection pump loose from the gasket on the timing housing with a pry bar or something, just don't break anything. Mine was stuck, I messaged Josh several times and I finally figured out my injection pump was stuck to the timing cover via the gasket, so I had to knock mine with a big prybar. That's what I had to do to get it to even move even with the ratcheting strap.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Inj Pump Adj

Like I stated before, I think I did, you have to knock the injection pump loose from the gasket on the timing housing with a pry bar or something, just don't break anything. Mine was stuck, I messaged Josh several times and I finally figured out my injection pump was stuck to the timing cover via the gasket, so I had to knock mine with a big prybar. That's what I had to do to get it to even move even with the ratcheting strap.
I think you missed an earlier post.....there is no adjustment left on the injector pump. The slot is as far up as it can go on the front bolt, I took off the nut to check and see. The timing mark is still a hair below the timing mark which led to my question if it had been installed wrong (if possible). The injector pump is maxed out or hitting the bolt where I should be able to still adjust my timing.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Looking from the drivers seat it should be only 1/8 inch clockwise past the timing mark on the timing housing, the timing mark on the injection pump should only be 1/8 inch past that mark on the housing. Period, I had to retard mine from 1/4 inch past the timing mark clockwise, and I gain back about 5 PSI I lost going to the 1/4 inch mark, I set it a little short of 1/8 inch and gain much more than at 1/4 inch.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Timing mark

Looking from the drivers seat it should be only 1/8 inch clockwise past the timing mark on the timing housing, the timing mark on the injection pump should only be 1/8 inch past that mark on the housing. Period, I had to retard mine from 1/4 inch past the timing mark clockwise, and I gain back about 5 PSI I lost going to the 1/4 inch mark, I set it a little short of 1/8 inch and gain much more than at 1/4 inch.
I understand that....my timing mark is below the mark on the housing (counterclockwise) as you sit in the drivers seat and there is no more adjustment left on the injector pump....I can't even get it to line up directly across each other much less trying to get it 1/8 past the mark.

Quick Reply: VE Pump Timing Issue?