1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

need help with what parts i need to rebuild my tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with what parts i need to rebuild my tranny.

Okay I have hit a point with my 93 dodge with the a518 automatic that I wanna start gathering parts to rebuild it, I plan on buying my parts from pact transmissions expect the torque converter, the problem is there web sucks and confuses the hell out of me.

Here is a list that a buddy of mine sent me of parts and tell him if its complete or I'm missing somthing or should go with a diffrent product.

The list so far:
-master rebuild kit with red eagle clutches.
-transgo shift kit
-billit intermediate servo piston(red anodized one)
-billit reverse/low servo piston(fancey one with taller head)
-billit accumulator piston
-front band (38$ one)
-bushing kit
-reusable pan gasket
-deep pan

Anything I should change or up grade? And what parts am.I going to need to rebuild the overdrive unit?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First things first, you are going to need a lot of blinker fluid! LOL

Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Diesel Fan

I figured I'd run a mixture of royal purple maxfilm and royal purple synthetic grease to cut down on the wear.....bladeyamaha go hillbilly some more grade 8 bolts into fuel pins.....

Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'd put some ZDDPlus with Royal Purple Syncro Max actually.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I was just joking man, dang, you sore at somebody or what?

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 11-15-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Just not in the mood for stupid answers so people can get there post count up is all. If I wanted a dumb answer I would as my crack head welder's helper how to go about doing a underwater over head 6g weld.......don't have to post on everything you read.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

What are you gonna do with the truck?

- If racing/pulling, you might consider increasing the clutch/steel count in the clutch-pacs.
Go to https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.a...sion=A518/A618 and get a selection of the different thickness Snap-Rings used in the clutch-pacs. That will aid in setting the clutch-pac clearances. Get the used parts. They're cheap and available.
**Be Aware**, There are two different thickness Alto clutch-discs available.

- All that "Billet" stuff is nice, but you'd come out better with focusing on cutting down hydralic fluid leakage around those parts.

Ref; Multiple sealing rings.

Name:  FrontServoCompare.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  Accumulator.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  42.2 KB

- Instead of simply throwing all the TransGo kit in there, Call TransGo and talk with one of thier techs about what you're going to do with the truck. They will steer you toward those components that will serve you best. You may not need the full-blown kit.

- Be sure to get a set of replacement thrust-washers as well. Some should come as a selection of different thickness that will aid in the final assembly clearances.

Name:  Check-End-Play.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  116.3 KB

- Most definitely on the bushing kit!!
Worn bushings like this . . .

Name:  Wallowed-Bushing1.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  100.5 KB

Results in mess like this . . .

Name:  BrokeShaft.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  237.8 KB

- That reusable pan gasket will work well with this pan: B&M Automatic Transmission Deep Pans 10280 - SummitRacing.com

- Be sure to look hard at all the gear-teeth for wear & tare. Don't forget the shafts the planetary spider-gears ride on . . .

Name:  Overdrive-Planetary.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  Overdrive-Sun.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  Front-Planetary.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  100.9 KB

If you find enough crap there to condemn gears, you may consider upgrading to the 47RH planetary gear-sets (an 47RH intermediate shaft will be necessary to accept the new gears.). They include an increased spider-gear count and steel carriers.

- Make damned-sure you thoroughly inspect the interface of the input-shaft and it's associated drum ensuring it's dead-tight.
Slop in the input-shaft's support bushings, combined with slop in that drum's associated clutch-pack, can impart too much stress on the interface resulting in it being torn or worse . . .

Name:  f00d8bcb.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  228.6 KB

Name:  826d128b.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  185.9 KB

- Oh, . . . . . stupid-boosted launches twists mess like this (with stock shafts) . . .

Name:  72984008.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  234.7 KB

Name:  0a9aa8df.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  286.3 KB

. . . . . .

The tighter converter, firmer shifts, and beating on it at the track just makes the slop more obvious. And then you turn up the power.

Tightening-up all the bushings, bearings, and gear interfaces is pretty-much expected with a going on twenty year old trans.

Been there, . . .. Done that . . . . .

Last edited by BC847; 11-15-2012 at 07:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bladeyamaha (11-29-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Diesel Fan

Bc, my list so far is complete, I plan on racing the truck so am I gonna want the most clutches I can fit? Now here my next question is what did you put all in your trans cause it seems to have held up well.

So the best way to find out all the parts need is a FSM.the start looking at performance applications parts from.the aftermarket?

Last edited by 78fordf150ranger; 11-16-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

I studied the different part kits as found on PATC, Suncoast, and the like to see just what they included. Since all the transmissions are based on the original 727 design, with the later years having the overdrive, one finds there are a LOT of aftermarket components available.

A the end of it all, I've ended up with:
- A custom tweaked SunCoast non lock-up converter with the billet back-plate.
- The original 46RH case that contains a billet/alloy 46RH output shaft, 47RH billet/alloy intermediate shaft, and a billet/alloy non lock-up 46RH input shaft (cause I broke the originals).
- All the planetary gear-sets are from a 48RE with six spider-gears in steel carriers.
- The front clutch-pac is of the 48RE design with the higher spline-count. The rear and those in the OD have the earlier spline-count.
- With the exception of the rear clutch-pac, they all have higher/clutch-steel counts.
- Then there's the usual accumulator and servo stuff. Machined aluminum, etc. My emphasis was on the sealing so as to reduce any potential internal leakage. This included running a better sealing OD servo.
- I'm actually running components from a couple of TransGo kits. The usual stuff to firm-up the shifts as well as what amounts to a 2-step pressure regulator spring affair. Stiffer springs in the accumulators.

Over three years, going from a strong HX35/Hybrid to a set of small twins promptly burnt the clutches. Had to rebuild and raise the line pressures. Adding bigger spinny-things along with bigger squirters broke all three stock shafts (one at a time) while doing 20+ psig boosted launches.

It can still be made stronger, but daggum! Even with doing the work yourself, the chit's expensive!

Last edited by BC847; 11-19-2012 at 11:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bladeyamaha (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Diesel Fan

How many clutches/steel come stock in the tranny and how many did you end up putting in,

Been looking at a rebuild kit from Oregon transmissions there HI-performance kit a stage 1 anyone used that kit?

Cause PACT is a pain in the butt to get ahold of.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

That ain't no lie man.

Quick Reply: need help with what parts i need to rebuild my tranny.