1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

electrical problems I think

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default electrical problems I think

havent been here for a while since I havent had any problems for about a year. My problem is my headlights wont come on with out holding back my blinker lever so only my passing brights work and the switch turns the running lights on fine. This started about 2 weeks ago and I figured no big deal headlight switch went out after 309,000 miles. So I picked up a switch from advanced auto parts (made in tiawon) and it worked for like 2 or 3 days and Ive been to lazy to open it back up, so it was back to holding the passing switch sice i dont drive at night much its not a huge deal but the days are getting shorter. Now on my way home from work last night my radio and AC fan just shuts off so when I got stoped behind a car I tryed to turn the lights on and nothing came on except blinkers, so no running lights, headlights or passing lights. So Im trying to get home before dark and I hit a bump and the radio and ac come back on and my brights work again still no regular headlights though. I did a google search and found this to bee a common problem but didnt find alot of solutions. Im thinking its a bad ground or a short so if you guys know all the ground locations that might be a good start. Thanks for all the help in advance

Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could see a bad ground affecting one of those things at a time, but it would seem to me the whole truck would have to loose it's ground for all of that stuff to stop. Maybe try looking into the fuse box below the steering column, maybe the feed has come loose. You should probably check the connections at the battery too.

Last edited by montepig72; 10-24-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Everything under the dash grounds through the dash to the cab. At each side of the cab under the dash is like a 9/16 bolt going into the body make sure those are tight.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Headlight switches are very problematic in these trucks and even new ones from the parts stores. Check grounds and power connections, also check and make sure the connector at the headlight switch is not burnt up.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by jwirth
Headlight switches are very problematic in these trucks and even new ones from the parts stores. Check grounds and power connections, also check and make sure the connector at the headlight switch is not burnt up.
when I removed the old stocker the conector was slightly melted but appeared to be fine

Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Rewire your headlights using toggle switches bud!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by BIGREDGOAT
Rewire your headlights using toggle switches bud!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
have you done this? maybe you have a diagram

Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

No reason to rewire it with toggle switches. If you tow trailers it is a good idea to add a relay for the trailer lights. Need to also make sure all the connectors in the headlight switch plug are tight. A lot of time when they melt the plug like yours the connectors in it loosen up.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Also not just the trailer lights but headlights draw a crap load of power. put them on relays with a new switch and you won't have problems again.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke
Also not just the trailer lights but headlights draw a crap load of power. put them on relays with a new switch and you won't have problems again.
+1 I did this and my headlight switch started working better. I have a back up one but I used 4 relays and did all high/low beam lights with relays, bestest idea ever! LOL

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Check all your grounds then check all your grounds! LOL

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-27-2012 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: electrical problems I think